Never Met God

Started by chip withrow, January 04, 2011, 06:08:33 PM

chip withrow

never met god
Time:
0:00
Volume:
My friend Kelly came to visit a while back, and while she was here I got her to sing on a bunch of my songs for an album I was doing. The album was folk- and roots-rock for kids and families, called Brother Bird.
This one was something different and didn't make it to the album - in fact, Kelly was just goofing and scat-singing to a rough acoustic version I had done, and I didn't know she was recording. I kept her vocal, re-did mine a capella, and added minimal percussion and keys.
I have a gig this weekend and was looking for some originals to play that I hadn't done in a while, and I found this.
My daughter goes to a Catholic school, and of course God is always referred to as male there. This is based on a conversation between my wife and daughter about how God just might be female.

Never Met God

Never met God, but I think that she's a girl
Never met God, but I think that she's a girl
Gonna take a woman to straighten out this world

Never met God, but I consider her my mom
Never met God, but I consider her my mom
She's gonna set us straight if we keep dropping those bombs

I don't think a man can handle
running the whole human race
Only a woman can do the job with
strength and sense and grace

Never met God but she gives me hopefulness
Never met God but she gives me hopefulness
Gotta trust a lady to really know what's best

God is like a Grandma, she's so wise
God is like a Grandma, she's so wise
Someday I hope to look right in her eyes

Gritter

nice minimalist approach...Kelly can sure sing. Very soulful...sweet.

mr2kewl

creative

brilliant

jazzy

liking it

8)
"Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted" Bill Laswell         "Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny" Frank Zappa

wandering aimlessly around as: Mr2Kewl - The Kewl Trio - Mr2Kewl Quartet and The Total Chaos Orchestra

Geir

Oh yeah, the minimalistic approach works for me too.

Loving this.

Downoaded to my chip withrow folder!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Ted

A very strong song. To pull this off takes confidence. The kind I ain't got--at least not until I get some kind of pitch correction crutch.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

OsCKilO

Quote from: mr2kewl on January 04, 2011, 07:03:34 PMcreative

brilliant

jazzy

liking it

8)

Ditto!

Brave as well!

Pulled of with ease people!
Bravo!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Satchwood

vERy cooL laid-back coffee-house tune ~ dig the bloozy vocals!!   Creative and fun lyrics too !
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

Bluesberry

really nice, I like that Kelly's singing, yeah very nice.  Its fun light-hearted song.  It would sound great if done like this, I am not sure it be as good without Kelly's vocal in there too.  Maybe it would sound deadly with just you singing and strumming an acoustic.  You know what would sound good, playing your banjo and singing this, like some old-timey religion song but with a slightly different message than normally heard on those kind of songs.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

chip withrow

Quote from: Bluesberry on January 05, 2011, 04:44:16 PMMaybe it would sound deadly with just you singing and strumming an acoustic.  You know what would sound good, playing your banjo and singing this, like some old-timey religion song but with a slightly different message than normally heard on those kind of songs.

My original version was me and my guitar. Last night, I tried it as an old-time religion song, but more in the style of Bob Dylan's version of Blind Lemon Jefferson's "In My Time of Dying." And I think that's how I will perform it Saturday. Thanks for the suggestion!

Less is definitely more in this case, it has a real earthy feel and Kelly's voice is a nice addition. A download when I get home............Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800