Now That You're Sleeping - AndyR Original

Started by AndyR, January 03, 2011, 06:27:51 AM

AndyR

A brand new song from me. First one I've written in ages.

It came about in the aftermath of recording Elizabeth's Room and then vaguely explaining what that was about.

I was setting up the BR1600 to record an old song that will need a full band, drums, etc. While I was doing this I was browsing the forum and T. C. Elliot had just posted his 52nd Song A Week. I didn't actually start listening to TC's song, but there was something very poignant about the opening line of his post:

"Yup. I did it. I'm done. Finished. Completed. It's over. (Oops, I wasn't supposed to tell you.)".

I happened to be wearing a guitar, I hit F, Dm, C, and the tune of the verse came out of my mouth. Obviously the song I was about to record could wait a few minutes if this was to prove interesting. So I got the MBR out and (for the first time ever) I actually used it for what I originally intended - a scratch pad for song writing. It took the MBR, an A4 pad and an our or so... All the while TC's thread and that line was staring at me from my laptop perched under the Christmas Tree :D. It's amazing where inspiration comes from... thanks TC :) (I was SO relieved, when I listened to your song an hour later, that I hadn't gone anywhere near where you'd gone!)

While I was writing it, from another room, Mrs R could hear "something" happening... I was really worried I'd accidentally nicked someone else's tune. She doesn't think so, but I'm still not sure.

The original lyrical ideas included "oops I wasn't s'posed to tell you" at the ends of verses, and that would have been the title. But as it developed, thoughts of a loved-one having to go through an MRI scan (with an "all clear" outcome) went through my mind... and eventually it evolved into Elizabeth singing to the singer of Elizabeth's Room. But you don't really need to know any of that... just take it at face value.

When it was finished Mrs R, as usual, wanted me to record it as just me and a guitar. But my playing isn't up to it... (and really, that's the guilty secret of why I put all the arranging into these things! :D)

Anyway, now that you're sleeping...

Now That You're Sleeping
Words & Music AndyR
Recorded on a BR1600
Guitars and Vocals - AndyR
Copyright (c) 2011 A A J Russe

Time:
0:00
Volume:

recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Bluesberry

Its as real as it gets Andy.  There is so much warmth and life in this song.  Your acoustic guitar playing has never sounded better, and to think recorded on a microBR* of all things, it really sounds good.  You have style for sure.  There is a real easy flow, relaxed deliver here, I guess as you just went with the flow here, it feels like that, in a very good way, relaxed, easy flowing music, with a deep feeling underneath.  You need to try this kind of songwriting more often.

*Edit - brain fart...I see this was recorded on your BR-1600.  That acoustic sounds real good.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

AndyR

Ahh... BB, I have to admit that the songwriting demo is on the MBR... this was all recorded on the BR1600 with a couple of mics :D

EDIT: I think we could have got close with the MBR, but I'd still be trying to figure out how to do the backing vocals at the moment (and for the next week or so!). As it was, it was a couple of hours wailing at the thing to find all the parts, and then singing them in the appropriate numbers. The actual song - the lead vocal and basic guitar parts - were finished on 31st December. The "lead guitars" and backing vocals were recorded in a few hours on the 1st. What really took the time was the mixing and mastering - now I have the BR1600, I wouldn't fancy having to take that on on the MBR anymore.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Bluesberry

Thanks Andy, I see my error there...must get coffee...

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Geir

Now this is just stunning !!!

Fantastic songwriting and delivered with so much emotion. And on top of that there's a performance and production second to none !! This is ART !!!

Those harmonies, both in the vocals and the guitars are fab !!

That is also an amazingly good guitarsound you've got there ! What kind of guitar did you use? And mics? and patches (if any)?

This will get MANY listens (on my 3rd already)!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Ted

Quote from: Geir on January 03, 2011, 07:42:35 AMThis will get MANY listens (on my 3rd already)!!

Ditto that.

This does not sound at all like a song that was written quickly, but instead like one that was crafted over many days or weeks.

I was listening to the "Latest Songs" jukebox when I first heard this, and I did not immediately recognize any Russe-isms. But soon enough they revealed themselves.

Wonderful song.  I know I've missed one or two of your recent songs. I need to go find them. Bumps ahead.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

cuthbert

Sterling sound.

What a beautiful song...and I always appreciate the stories that are behind the production, inspiration, and all.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Redler

I haven't heard so beautiful music for a long time! Just a great performance on each level. Especially, I loved the harmonies near to the end... Fantastic...

Kari
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

work has kept me away from the site  but i'm back for an hour or so before i get  back to the grind. magic andy, i'm getting an elizibethan troubadour feel from this,  dont know why but i am.
gonna load it onto the piepod for further listening. gonna get as much stuff downloaded before i get dragged back to work kicking and screaming.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Ferryman

Wow and double wow, this is just so beautiful. Wonderful acoustic playing, sublime vocals and top notch harmonies. Not much more to add apart from of course the production is crystal clear and really lets you appreciate the nuances of the guitar and vox. You have started 2011 with a belter Andy! Superb stuff.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR