"You Don't Know What You're Talking About" -- original by Ted

Started by Ted, January 02, 2011, 11:23:55 PM

Ted

I just put this on Soundclick.

Thank you LG. Glad you liked it.

Bluesberry and Geir: Dave has heard your chanting. Any day now he'll create an account. Really.

Greeny: Thanks for the back-to-back listens. Quirky is a compliment. This song was experimental in a couple of ways. I wanted to write a song where the verse and chorus secretly have the same chord pattern, and only the piano hook gives the secret away.

Quote from: Gnasty on January 07, 2011, 08:25:23 AMWhere you get the idea for the lyrics. Those 10 year Canadian kids can be bullies eh? :D

I don't remember for sure. It was a long time ago. Ron and I were probably talking about our experiences with the great bullshit artists of our lives. The three verses are based on real events.

Quote from: OsCKilO on January 07, 2011, 11:56:16 AMI'm in love with the part that starts "You may have the gift of gab....." 

Those high harmonies are from my Digitech Vocalist Live 2.  For some reason that part reminds me of Journey. [Shivers...]

Quote from: andrewh on January 07, 2011, 02:07:42 PMThis song excels in so many ways, and is full of catchy hooks that just draw you in.

Thanks. That guitar hook by Ron was the key to making the song. A good hook is a gift not to be wasted.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

henwrench

Great stuff!! As always, a top tune with super organic production and values. I really dig your shit, Ted. Like a farmer, or something.

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Like this a lot, can't believe it's taken me so long to respond. Very clever lyrics and the timing is great, in fact it's all top notch.............Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

SwanSong

Hi there ted.
great song loved it . vocals and music. great super. thumbs up
bythe way this song has a reflection of the jefferson airplane
voulenteer of america. the start. either way thumbs up
a super listen NEIL

Ted

Quote from: SwanSong on January 13, 2011, 11:09:25 AMbythe way this song has a reflection of the jefferson airplane
voulenteer of america. the start.

I had to find the song on YouTube. I didn't hear the similarity at first, but you're right. It's the exact same chord sequence, only half as fast as mine.

Theirs: ||: G - F- | C - G - :||
Mine:   ||: GFCG :||

That's a good ear you've got!  You could totally do a remix version of my song using samples from Volunteers in America. (You don't have a problem with samples and looping, do you?)

Thank you too, Willie and Henwrench.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

stoman

I downloaded the song a while ago but only listened to it yesterday in bed. I think my mp3 player was set to shuffle mode ... I had listened to a couple of songs that I thought were nice and was about to fall asleep, but then your song started, and I had to stay awake. :)

In other words: Great song, great performance!

Regards,
  Steffen

Ted

Thanks Steffen.

I was reminded yesterday that there was a first attempt to record this about three years ago. I didn't remember it getting very far.  But my friend reminded me that there was a saxophone part, and he doesn't think the song sounds right without it.  So I sent him a bunch of WAVs, and he says he's going to remix it, and redo the sax. So there may be a new version of this song eventually with a couple more hands on it.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Tony W

Musically outstanding. That's my favorite aspect of your songs Ted. You've got the gift of making a catchy ass tune. I'm not a lyricist, and when putting a song together, I'd be perfectly happy making instrumentals for the rest of my life. With that said, take this with a grain of salt: I felt like I was outside the bubble on an inside joke. There were clever and entertaining lyrics for sure, but I didn't quite get it.

Again, the music is absolutely fantastic. I'd place your ability to construct a song up there with henwrench. It's not that there is something special about your music, each part is special and unique. I find that remarkable.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ted

Quote from: Tony W on January 13, 2011, 10:31:22 PMI felt like I was outside the bubble on an inside joke. There were clever and entertaining lyrics for sure, but I didn't quite get it.

Here's how I explained the lyrics on my blog:
"Learning the art of bullshit detection requires contact with bullshit artists. This is a tribute to those who honed our skills."

Don't try to promote me to the Henwrench league. I don't deserve it. And besides, I'd be scared with his pointing that guitar in my face all the time.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

T.C. Elliott

This does remind me of school bus, but only after you mentioned it. I'm liking the groove, the drive.. okay I'm liking the rhythm on this one. Nicely done.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London