How do I get warmer vocals?

Started by FuzzFace, November 17, 2008, 08:03:11 AM

FuzzFace

How can I increase the warmth of the vocal recording using the Boss Micro BR?

I have been using the built-in mic.

Although I also own a Shure SM58.  Should I be using that? 

Or should I continue with the built-in mic and use effect settings?

I have posted 3 songs in the "Post Your Work" section, for reference.

Thanks!

Oldrottenhead

i often double track a vocal, that is singing it twice to seperate tracks but as close as possible to each take, so it helps to practice before recording, not sure of warmth but certainly gives depth.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Greeny

I've recently been using the 'Vocal Delay 1' setting in the in-built mic, and it gives a nice warmth and depth.

When you've selected 'MIC' via the input button, press 'Effects' to scroll through the options.

When I don't want any delay on the vocals I use the 'OnBoard 1' effect, and that's pretty cool too.

It's all about personal taste though.

Good luck!  :)

hewhoiscalledj

The built in mic does a great job but i would also try using the SM58 thru a preamp and compare. I think the built in condensor might do a better job picking up the higher frequencies on the vocal but the SM58 may sound warmer w/ more punch. Especially depending on the quality of the preamp.

One other thing I would suggest would be to consider the room you are recording in. It's amazing how much the room can affect your sound so try it in different places. Maybe in a walk in closet, or in a large room in the house. I love doing the double track thing so maybe experiment with recording each track in a different room and then mixing the two tracks together. This should add some body to the track(s)

Good luck

Glenn Mitchell

Good advice Hewho..
I do the same thing. sing the same vocal track in 2 different rooms then mix L30R30.
I found I got the best results holding the MBR above my head about 45 degrees up from my mouth and about 10" away. No pops and sibilance but good presence and volume.
Got to get a stand tho, my arms get tired.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

SteveG

Try recording the vocal dry, copy it, and add a short delay to one of them. Then mix adding reverb to taste.

BossMicroBRew

Not an expert here by any means, so please quickly correct me if I am wrong.  Would setting the vocal gain to 0, -1, or -2 increase the desired warmth at all?
"90-proof pain, I shot at a time."  -George Molton

hewhoiscalledj

Quote from: BossMicroBRew on January 06, 2009, 09:03:41 AMNot an expert here by any means, so please quickly correct me if I am wrong.  Would setting the vocal gain to 0, -1, or -2 increase the desired warmth at all?

Howdy,

I'm guessing that you are referring to the Mics Input Sensitivity. I dont think that has an effect on warmth as much as pure volume (aka. level, gain) In my mind, warmth is a function of room dynamics and microphone/preamp selection. For example, in a room with hardwood floors and all hard surfaces, you will get a lot of sound bouncing back and forth between every surface. In a carpeted room with drapes, on the other hand, the sound (especially higher frequencies) gets somewhat "deadened."

This effect of the room, along with microphone and preamp selection and of course, the singers vocal tone / mic technique, will greatly affect the perception of "warmth" in a recording. Analog gear is said to provide much more warmth and character than digital gear. The preamp in the Boss MBR is actually pretty decent (IMO) but it's digital so you almost get this "too clean, too perfect" sound that I would consider "cold/sterile." If you get the chance, compare a Sure SM58 dynamic mic plugged into a digital preamp to the same mic plugged into one of those crazy expensive preamps like a Great River ME1 and youll be amazed at the difference (not to mention getting a whole new profound respect for the simple SM58.)

One last bit of advice that i've learned thru trial and error and much research... Use the natural sound of a good sounding room as much as possible and avoid over-compensating with digital reverbs, delays, and other effects. And invest in a good condenser mic and get the best preamp you can get your hands on without selling your kidneys. Great mics can be found from companies like Rode, Audio Technica, Sennheiser, Beyer, and yeah... Shure.

BossMicroBRew

Thanks for the insight! I appreciate it.

Speaking of mics...  From a little reading I have been doing lately, a common opinion I am finding is that the MXL 900 series mics provide the vocal warmth many people look for.  These actually seem to be pretty inexpensive...$50 to $80 range.

Anyone else heard/read this?
"90-proof pain, I shot at a time."  -George Molton

hewhoiscalledj

You cant beat it at that price. I've got an MXL V67(?) something like that and it was in that same price range. I use it regularly for lead vocals and it works fine. Basically, any large diaphram condenser microphone will get you that "warmth" we are talking about. A sound engineer can probably explain warmth with some crazy math equation, and throwing a lot of money into a microphone can certainly get you that warmth, but creativity begins with using what you've got to work with.

Like many others have said on this forum, the built in condensor mic can provide some stellar results with minimal tweaking so I'd say get used to and good at using that first... It's easy to get trapped into gear acquisition mode in the recording world so I find it's better to focus on technique and experimenation.

Cheers.