if a song you are writing sort of sounds like another song...

Started by rich2k4, January 01, 2011, 10:04:12 PM

rich2k4

do you let it bother you, or do you just continue to write through it?

Greeny

This happens to me quite a lot, but it's quite easy (with a few tweaks) to distance yourself from the song it sounds like. Just a little shift in the vocal melody normally does the trick. I'd never scrap a good song or idea because of it.

When it comes to guitar riffs, it's hard to be totally original. And the blues is one giant, revolving copying machine, lol.

Geir

I let it bother me even if I don't know which song it reminds me of ::)
If I do know, I try to rewrite or steer it in another direction
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Tony W

I spent 3 hours, 4 PM's and asked around work about a song that I'm working on. Finally somebody said it sounds like Collective Soul - December. Sure enough its close ( theirs is much better than mine).

I'm an utter novice to creating my own music, Everything I do has been done countless times before. I've let this inhibit me to the point of failure many times. I keep convincing myself that I'll continually get better at becoming a musician and eventually completely original music will come forth.

The problem with the previous line of thinking is simple. I'll never get better sitting on the sidelines, never creating my own music. I wont find my own style, I wont progress in any facet of being a song writer if I don't create, and continue through completion. So if it sounds like something else, yep, tweak it. Learn new variations of the chords or whatever it takes.

I've got loads of ideas, but I'm having difficulty tying in chorus/verse/bridge structure in order to make a song full.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Greeny

Quote from: Tony W on January 17, 2011, 08:53:40 AMI spent 3 hours, 4 PM's and asked around work about a song that I'm working on. Finally somebody said it sounds like Collective Soul - December. Sure enough its close ( theirs is much better than mine).

I'm an utter novice to creating my own music, Everything I do has been done countless times before. I've let this inhibit me to the point of failure many times. I keep convincing myself that I'll continually get better at becoming a musician and eventually completely original music will come forth.

The problem with the previous line of thinking is simple. I'll never get better sitting on the sidelines, never creating my own music. I wont find my own style, I wont progress in any facet of being a song writer if I don't create, and continue through completion. So if it sounds like something else, yep, tweak it. Learn new variations of the chords or whatever it takes.

I've got loads of ideas, but I'm having difficulty tying in chorus/verse/bridge structure in order to make a song full.

Many great songwriters started as copyists. Look at the Beatles - they did heaps of covers before finding their own voice. Same as the Stones. It's all part of learning the craft. It's the same for pretty much any art form. If you look at early Picasso works (the Picasso museum in Barcelona is full of them...), he did all kinds of copies of established artists and styles in his search for originality.

There's nothing wrong with taken someone else's song as a template and adapting it into something new and fresh....

Gnasty

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

FuzzFace

That's right.

Shakespeare pretty much ripped off all his ideas.

Gu Djin

Then of course there's the problem of trying to do cover and realizing it sounds nothing like the original.  I stopped worrying about it to much when I found one of my originals was a copy of me trying to to be original?!?

Leigh
Guild Starfire 5, Fender Telecaster, Fender Stratocaster, K Yairi and Walden and a 12 Stagg string acoustic guitar and other music making boxes - including mandolin, bouzouki and 5 string banjo, uke and acoustic bass - a few M-Audio keyboards and a flute - all played and treated with equal love and attention - zoom ut 2 pedal and Logic Pro X

chip withrow

15-16 years ago, I decided to stay home one Saturday and write a song. Hadn't written anything for a few years, but I had an idea. So I started playing a slow chord progression, wrote a few verses (looking back, they were pretty bad) about a girl who was on the road, down to her last few bucks.
Man, I kept thinking, these chord changes sound familiar. So I sped them up, sped them up some more, and realized they were the same an "Any Way You Want It" by Journey. Great song, by the way. (Journey's, not mine.)
But, you know, I bet I've returned to that chord progression in bunches of songs since. It's just hard to avoid. So I'll play in a different key, syncopate them, etc. But in folk, rock, and blues (what I usually write), you can't avoid them.
If you "borrow" from, say, "Blue Moon of Kentucky," you're not alone. But if you "borrow" from "Roundabout" by Yes ... now, that's different.

chip

Quote from: Greeny on January 04, 2011, 06:51:01 AMThis happens to me quite a lot, but it's quite easy (with a few tweaks) to distance yourself from the song it sounds like. Just a little shift in the vocal melody normally does the trick. I'd never scrap a good song or idea because of it.

When it comes to guitar riffs, it's hard to be totally original. And the blues is one giant, revolving copying machine, lol.

Pretty much sums it up for me. Chords have no copyright.... right. Melody can shape the song even with the same chords as many other songs and make a significant change. Everything has been done before so I don't let it worry me at all if a song sounds like something else. As has been pointed out most originals are part of someone else's original and so it goes on, round and round in circles frorm one era to the next. Keep at it...
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.