Elizabeth's Room - AndyR Original

Started by AndyR, December 24, 2010, 02:49:14 PM

stoman

I think your choice was right, Andy. I like version 3 better than version 2, and I think I also like it better than version 1. Adding just a little bit(!) of clarity was indeed an improvement. It sounds more open now, has more air, but still does not lack coherence.

Well done! :)

I need some fresh air, so I'll put it on my mp3 player now and listen to it (and other songs of yours) while walking through the snow.

Regards,
  Steffen

AndyR

Phew! I was waiting for that post Steffen :D

All this work has made me seriously wonder (again) about going back to Sleeping With The Ghost to sort out the mix and mastering, though.

SWTG could definitely benefit from rectifying the mistakes I knew I'd made when I posted it. Especially now that I know how to fix them. The two songs (and others) are kind of related, they are from the same period and box of scribbles - in fact, Elizabeth's Room was principle among the "other" songs I referred to in SWTG's thread, it was one of the ones I was always aiming at and scared of doing (there's at least one more).

ER and SWTG are also related in content, but I didn't realise it at the time, I was just banging out as many songs as I could.

The song Elizabeth's Room isn't a ghost story itself, but the aborted novel of the same name is. In the novel, the guy here is actually sat in "Elizabeth's Room" - it's the room that he lives in - but he hasn't met her yet. The readers have met her already in the prologue, where she, confused and disorientated, is aware of the initially angry neighbours who have been woken by the radio-alarm-clock that she didn't think to switch off.

All this was going through my head when I was writing the song, and I carry that baggage with me when I play, sing, and arrange it... That's probably why the backing vocals were SO important to me. I didn't want them too obvious, which is why I didn't want to remix, but I didn't want you to miss them either, which was why I couldn't live with the first master...

Not sure I should have explained this, because I'm a great believer in people making up their own stories when they listen to a song... but... oh well :D

Anyway, thanks for everyone's comments, much appreciated :)

And, orh - don't you worry none about the other masters, you're not missing nowt, this be the one :D
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

stoman

QuoteNot sure I should have explained this, because I'm a great believer in people making up their own stories when they listen to a song... but... oh well
One thing I like about you - besides your great music - is the elaborate and informative descriptions you give. Don't stop that! :)

Regards,
  Steffen

Tony W

For me, every AndyR song that is posted becomes a whirlwind of emotion. I waited for days, until the time was right to give this a listen. I've found that as  I evolve musically, I make time for quality listening. If I'm anticipating phone calls, etc. I just won't do it anymore.

So, from the 2nd chord, I'm in the groove, and ready for the audible ride. The lyrics kick in, and there it is. The table is set, I'm all in. I smile, my eyes close and I enjoy the journey. When the last harmonic is struck, and the music is fading into the past, I realize it is going to be far too long before I hear another AndyR song. Such is life.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

AndyR

Here's another one that I've just moved over to alonetone.

I'm actually thinking of adding to it at the moment. I bought the electric double bass for this one, but I finished before it had arrived... I jammed along with it a few weeks back, but didn't feel I could improve on what's here already. But listening to it to test the link has made me think that a bass part could tie some of the guitars together. Could be a serious piece of remixing and mastering work though!  ::) :D
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

StephenM

today I was doing my exercise routine using the treadmill and elliptical machine for cardio.  As usual I was listening to my 3000 song playlist on random play and this song popped up.  Of course i knew right away it was you although I didn't remember the song that well.  I thought as I listened what a fantastic recording you have here (good song too and I really love the guitar s.)
The very next song was Taylor Swift's "I Almost Do".... I got thinking that there wasn't much difference to me in the quality of the recordings and the songs fit together well also...
I just needed to mention that as I know you are a big fan...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1AV_35zVwU

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner