Elizabeth's Room - AndyR Original

Started by AndyR, December 24, 2010, 02:49:14 PM

AndyR

Quote from: Bluesberry on December 26, 2010, 07:35:45 AMI think it sounds very good using the "pop" setting...sounds deep and full and very well balanced. 

Oops! I have remastered and am in the process of transferring and checking on various devices even as I type this :D

Expect a replacement in the next 30 mins or so!!
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

AndyR

OK, I've replaced it with the remaster now.

I used the "Orchestra" preset with a few tweaks. I also added some subtle dynamics to make the song travel a bit better from start to finsish.

It's not a remix, but it's amazing the difference that the mastering makes. The lead vocal is not so upfront and in-yer-face now, it's a lot nearer to the original intention. I'm afraid I was lured and enticed by the thick sound I heard on friday night after hours of mixing and tracking! :D

The big improvement for me, is that the acoustic guitars actually sound more acoustic now, like they do on the tracks, and the backing vocals have taken the place that they do in the actual mix I made... the whole thing breathes better... (It's less "deep and full" now, but is better "balanced"... sorry if you still prefer the "inferior" product BB! :D ;))
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Bluesberry

its subtle, without the two together to do a A/B I can't really say what all is different here, it really sounds good thats for sure, I guess you tamed down your main vocal down a bit, it was jumping out of the speakers more, I did like that...but this also sounds really good.  I guess that this one feels less live, more polished.  Maybe taming down the vocals did that, the guitar sounds fantastic...can't really remember the last one enough to say what improvements were made, but I can't imaging getting a better acoustic sound than this right here, so you must have improved them...I'll take your word for that one...they do sound fantastic now.  Backing vox seems a little more present or fills in the empty spaces better...something like that I guess.  Whatever you have done...I say it is subtle...and this sounds fantastic...and you are happy with the results...so it is success all around...good job Andy.   And such a great song, that I will play for a long time for my own listening pleasure.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

j.g.

That's AndyR quality right from beginning to the last notes. You are a perfectionist and this sounds so pro from a home recording system. Couldn't have sounded better if you used a huge studio.
Great Post.
Geoff

stoman

Andy, the new version sounds very clean. Actually too clean for my taste - I prefer the first version you posted (I just listened to both on headphones). That one was perfect. I'll keep both, but I'll probably only listen to version 1. :)

However, if you had not posted the other version before, I'd love this one just as much! :)

Regards,
  Steffen

AndyR

:D I'm hearing the same thing now Steffen! (::)) It's just a bit too polite, isn't it...

What do think? - if I could get some of the push of the first version, but keep the clarity of the cleaner one, might that be an improvement over both?

The problem I have with the original is that a) the guitars sound a little unnatural and b) the backing vocals are too rich/soft and don't cut...

The problem with the new one is that it loses some of the punch/power...

I'll sleep on it and see what I think tomorrow... (I can see me putting the original back :D).

EDIT: 27/12/2010 Removed the extra version from this post when the finished master was linked to the OP.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

hardlock

Listened to both and like the cleaned original myself.  The remaster had me thinking "there's an opera in your future".  Maybe mix the remastered harmonies in with the originals for fullness (if possible?  Feels the original is at a slower speed maybe?)

Either way a very nice composition and production!
recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:
www.soundclick.com/kentone

My Collaborations:
www.soundclick.com/kenscollabs

Those things we take for granted - when we're young and immature - will surely return to haunt us when we're old and insecure

AndyR

:D I must admit I get the speed thing every time I finish listening to one version and start listening to another! There's a definite rallentando at the end, so immediately hearing the start again is a bit confusing, for me especially, because I wrote it and always used to play it a lot slower (the early demos last week, same arrangement, weighed in at 4.30 instead of 3.30 ... it was a bit of a dirge!). Added to that, there's no click track on here, so I assume it varies anyway. All the various masters should be the same speed though!

I like both versions, but the clearer one is a bit "weak" in places. Just before she went to bed, my wife listened to both. She seemed to see what I was fretting about, but she personally preferred the original as well... so I've been fiddling...

I've got three more versions I'm sat on now, all are fuller than the remaster, but all have more of the clarity I was after. I'm convinced one of these is the one.

I think I know which one I'll post at the moment, but I'm going to go and sleep on it and see how they all compare tomorrow...

I'm utterly amazed at how much difference the mastering settings make - I'm using exactly the same mix every time, and I can produce a clear but slightly weak performance or a powerful/emotional performance but some of the parts seem to disappear... Weird, I knew mastering was important, and all the knobs must mean something, but I've pretty much been using it just to make things sound BIGGER most of the time.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Bluesberry

Quote from: AndyR on December 26, 2010, 05:09:36 PMJust before she went to bed, my wife listened to both. She seemed to see what I was fretting about, but she personally preferred the original as well... so I've been fiddling...
You sound like you have a very patient and wonderfully supportive wife there...thats gold.  

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

chip withrow

Brilliant - reminds me of Traffic's folkier stuff. And those guitars ... I'm gonna try that tuning myself. Your vocal is commanding. A great, great song.