Elizabeth's Room - AndyR Original

Started by AndyR, December 24, 2010, 02:49:14 PM

AndyR

Here's a new one. Still acoustic, no drums or rockin'... and this time it's all acoustic guitar... quite a few of them... and every single one tuned to DADGAD! :o

Actually, it's quite an old song. According to my records, I wrote it on the 22nd June 1994... I'm getting old - I have songs older than my nephews and nieces :D

It's about the only good thing that came out of an aborted novel I was trying to write. The novel had the same title, but when the song appeared I lost interest and it kind of fizzled out.

I wrote it in a standard tuning, but I was experimenting with DADGAD at the time. My drummer wanted us to do it like that, but I couldn't play it. Also the way they were approaching it wasn't quite what I was hearing, so I quietly withdrew it from consideration.

Anyway, I've just spent the last two months learning how to use DADGAD so that I could record it.

And now I've spent a fraught and extremely tiring three days recording it. Mrs R suggested that I post the guitars on their own two days ago, because it sounded quite Christmassy, but it didn't feel quite right.

I've really enjoyed recording it, but I'm so relieved it's over. I'm quite pleased with the result, but it's not quite what I was expecting :D.

Elizabeth's Room
Words & Music AndyR
--------------------------------
If I was sat in Elizabeth's room
I wonder what I would say
She'd make the tea
And smile nervously
We'd both look the other way

Could I put into words
The things on my mind
Would I open my mouth too soon
Is she nervous of me
What would I see
What would I be
In Elizabeth's room

One sugar and a small dash of milk
Oh, I'll take it however it comes
Forgive how I stare
Now I'm aware
That I'm
In Elizabeth's room

It might be next door
For all that I know
Or off on the other side of town
I won't be deceived
I just can't believe
I will find myself
No, not in Elizabeth's room

I wonder what I would say

Copyright (c) 1994 A A J Russe
Time:
0:00
Volume:

recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Tangled Wires

Absolute sheer class, there is something really special about this song.

Top drawer acoustic work, stunning lead vocals and those backing vocals/harmonies really just are the icing on the cake for me.

All of your songs strike me as being meticulously prepared and performed, leaving no stone unturned...I am so jealous ;).

Just fantastic!

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

FMGWABP

stunning andy

one for the piepod
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

stoman

Perfect as always, Andy! There are a lot of great musicians here whose songs I really love and play a lot, but yours are the best IMO. Post some more please! :)

Regards,
  Steffen

Facemask93

Oh , this is so Roy Harper , but very definately AndyR , what a terrific song , and flawless production , open tunings just sound so good when played this well .
first of many listens today , thanks Andy , merry xmas mate

Rob

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

"All along the ancient wastes the thin reflections spin,
that gather all the times and tides at once we love within."
 - Roy Harper

Geir

What a great Christmas presant too us all!!

This is just brilliant !! And what a fabulous arrangement. Just guitars and voice and you make it sound like an orchestra !!!

QuoteI've just spent the last two months learning how to use DADGAD so that I could record it.
that's what I call determination !!!

(I'd probably use two hours (including recording the song ;D). note to self: 2011 shall be the year of determination !!!)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

AndyR

I was a bit worried after I'd posted it - I did a bit of an "orh" (by my standards :D) on the final mix and mastering. I was so keen on getting it finished and posted before christmas that I just banged it together and whacked it up here while we were watching Scrooge (Albert Finney version :)).

I used the "Pop Mix" mastering preset on the BR1600. The other candidate was the "Orchestral Mix" preset. "Orchestral" gave more clarity and breath across everything. The backing vocals and some of the nuances in the guitar parts seemed to benefit from it, but it also seemed slightly soul-less in comparison.

I listened to this one ("Pop Mix") on here yesterday, on the Missus's PC speakers and thought "Oh dear ???, I need to redo that on boxing day...".

But I've just listened to it again prior to our "boxing day walk", to decide on what to do later, and I think I might leave it. The mastering is OK as is, I think. The only way I could improve would be to go back and remix the guitars so that some of the "strummers" quieten down in the pauses at the end/begining of verses (I needed these for time-keeping during vocals). However, to do that, and get it back to the same vibe, would be a VERY difficult job to do. It might even take another whole day to track down the parts and remember what I did with them...

I shall think it over while we're road-testing our new wooly hats and fleeces etc... :D

Anyway, thanks for the comments so far folks... glad you likes it. I'm very very fond of this song, it has certain resonances and memories about the "younger Andrew R" and at least two ladies who were very important in his emotional life.

Roy Harper - interesting... I supported him once in the early/mid 80s and, yes, I remember all the lush guitar sounds he was making on stage from just one guitar and a huge effects rack sat next to him. That kind of thing didn't grab me then, but I do remember thinking he was getting some very cool sounds.

While I was recording this I was actually thinking John Martyn's Solid Air. Unfortunately my double-bass hasn't arrived yet (and I'll have to learn how to play it first!), so yes, I think the guitar approach has ended up more like what I remember of Roy Harper instead :D.

EDIT: Geir, you posted while I was typing, DADGAD is actually really easy (and really effective) when you get to grips with it. The main problems I was having were a) learning not to press so hard or apply so much vibrato to the down-tuned 1st and 2nd, and b) trying to stop fingers getting it the way of ringing open strings.

For the second point, I think a guitar with wider string spacing would be invaluable! :D
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Covermark

It's beautiful. Well played and sung very well. Also the choir singing is very good. I didnt listen to much to the lyrics and I did get the feel of a scottish or Irish song. Am I correct in that?

Anyway two thumbs up!

Bluesberry

Really good song Andy, saying "really good" does not cover my true feelings about this song...there are really no words...it feels exquisite, so polished and full, like some long lost gem of a song from the early 70's...I see the Roy Harper comparison...I think it sounds very good using the "pop" setting...sounds deep and full and very well balanced. 

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Bluesberry

Quote from: stoman on December 25, 2010, 02:02:28 AMThere are a lot of great musicians here whose songs I really love and play a lot, but yours are the best IMO. Post some more please! :)
I would tend to agree with this too.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand