acoustic lick with sony stereo mic

Started by Scorpios, January 17, 2008, 02:30:20 PM

Scorpios

sonymicacoustic
Time:
0:00
Volume:
see the thread in "getting started" about the mic, anyway, this was a test run with the mic, quick take, really sloppy.

First guitar that starts off was recorded in stereo with the sony mic, second guitar that comes in is with the internal mic, so there can be a sort of comparison between the two. The lead track was recorded with the sony mic in mono. I used reverb for the lead track, and when I mastered I used the mastering preset for effects, everything else was done dry.

Levels got too hot when the chords kick in at about the 1 minute mark. Hopefully I can get this mic to work properly and make some decent use out of it in the future.

Pedro

Wow, I'm really impressed. That sounds awesome, way better then what I thought it would because of the problem you talked about. I could notice a small difference between Sony and the internal mics. It seems that Sony has a slighty broader response to all frequencies in relation to the internal and when the internal mic gets in you can notice that it adds a bit of noise. But both are awesome mics I would say.

Overall, I'm very impressed with the Sony microphone. On my speakers this recording really sounds awesome. Hope you solve all the problems the microphone.

By the way, nice acoustic moment.

Thanks for sharing, Scorpios.

Scorpios

The first guitar is recorded in stereo, though panned someone to the left slightly. The stereo mic is an awesome option though, makes finding the "sweet spot" to position a mic much easier. Normally when I am recording on equipment where tracks, mics etc are plentiful I will use about 2 to 3 mics to get all the frequencies I want even to mic an amp... one close one  a bit back and off center and one distant/ambient. Sure it takes more tracks, but with the ability to bounce 4 tracks at once to 2 virtual tracks it is worth the while.

I agree though, both mics are good... stereo was just an option I liked for recording live settings, drums etc. My only complaint about the br built in mic, is it is hard to position without having to rig the BR at some wierd angle, I am working on an idea for a velcro attatchment that will let it stand at different angles and position the mic in easier ways... IMO mic angle has a lot to do with how something sounds, especially with a cheap-o acoustic like I have.

I recorded everything in takes without the sound issues the mic is constantly giving me, I would love to redo pretty much everything but I know the crackling will come up when I do, and I have been drinking brandy for the better half of the night, best I don't get too aggravated and start breaking shit.

Oldrottenhead

lovely sound you get there, glad to know i'm not the only one that uses brandy as a vital part of the recording process.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Facemask93

This is a wicked bit of recording and such a nice bit of guitar work , well done man.

Facemask93

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

"All along the ancient wastes the thin reflections spin,
that gather all the times and tides at once we love within."
 - Roy Harper

Greeny

Incredible guitar skills... faultlessly played and controlled. And it sounds wonderful - no matter you recorded it.

OsCKilO

Love the sound!

Great stuff!

Peace

Osckilo
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Satchwood

Cool guitar duo - i like the acoustic jam feel to this!

yeah, dude, don't get agitated and break your shiny box
 :o
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)