Say Goodbye - SAW 2010 - 50

Started by T.C. Elliott, December 13, 2010, 09:08:45 PM

T.C. Elliott

I wanted to write a song that kind of metaphorically represented the end of the challenge. I like the idea in this song, and it was fun doing a lyric first for a change, but I'm not really happy with it overall. Luckily I have two more weeks to get one I do like.

Say Goodbye
Acoustic: Yamaha
Vox: At2020
Written and Performed by: T.C.

Time:
0:00
Volume:

They've offered me a job out on the east coast
Making too much money to turn away
I'll be my own boss, I'll be in control
I'm getting what I always wanted today

Come with me, I know you think you can't
I've already asked too much of you
I had to decide but now's the hard part
There's one more thing we have to do

Say goodbye
Why won't you look me in the eye?
Why won't you tell me how you really feel?
I 've got to go
And I think that you already know
A hurt like this is always slow to heal
And now it's time to say goodbye

I've packed my backs and turned off the phone
There's not much left I have to do
There comes a time you can't put it off
I guess I've made an end to me and you

Say goodbye
Why won't you look me in the eye?
Why won't you tell me how you really feel?
I 've got to go
And I think that you already know
A hurt like this is always slow to heal
And now it's time to say goodbye
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

lg

Very good Song.
I have enjoyed each of these 50 songs that you've created!
Congrats on completing your goal that you set for yourself.
You set the bar WAY HIGH, and you did it!
Bravo

LG
nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!

kumale

This is a really peaceful ballad.
Congratulations from me too!

Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

only 2 to go piggy, this one is another belter, hoping you dont put your feet up when you get to 52, just keep going.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Bluesberry

Real nice folk song, in my head I hear a vocal harmony thing happining on the chorus, that would sound cool. 

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

scottieD

Out of the 50(!) you've done this year, this is one of my favourites...that melody captures the emotion in the song perfectly....and how do you record acoustically?  That guitar sounds great!

recorder
Boss BR-800
   Okay to cover...not sure why you'd want to though...

Satchwood

Great slow n easy goodbye song TC!   Put one of your signature acoustic solos in the break and call it a great song!
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

T.C. Elliott

Quote from: scottieD on December 15, 2010, 09:03:49 AMOut of the 50(!) you've done this year, this is one of my favourites...that melody captures the emotion in the song perfectly....and how do you record acoustically?  That guitar sounds great!

The acoustic on this one is a little bit of a duct tape and bubblegum job. What I'd normally do is record line in on one channel of the BR 900 and then record via my AT2020 condenser on another channel, then mix to suit. THIS time, I recorded one time all the way through line in and vocals. So the acoustic is mostly line in, but it does have a bit of the AT2020 on the vocal track. But I couldn't mix to suit, instead had to mix with the volume of the vocal track. I did reduce the mid to upper highs on a 31 band eq on the line in track to take away some of the harshness. And I threw on the blockfish compressor on both tracks in Reaper before rendering.

So in short, line in with reduced highs on a 31 band EQ and compression and some  (mostly intentional) bleed on the vocal track.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Ferryman

This is a really gentle, sensitive song that works really well. Still can't believe how you produce so much material that does not sound repetitive. Always a pleasure to listen to your SAW efforts, pityy there's only a couple left!

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Hi piggy another great posting. I do believe that your material and your performances have shot through the roof since I first started listening to you. This is no exception..........Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800