If we can't read music are we musicians??

Started by j.g., December 06, 2010, 02:57:03 PM

henwrench

huu huu huuuuu you said 'choke the chicken'. ha ha hhhaaahhhaaaa

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

IanR

Quote from: 64Guitars on December 06, 2010, 03:15:19 PMMusic doesn't originate from a page. It originates from inside a person. The page is just a storage medium for sharing the music so that others can learn it. But it's by no means the only method of learning a piece of music. Many musicians do just fine learning music by listening to it and playing by ear. It's the end result that makes you a musician; not the method you use to learn a song.

64 G makes sense.  

I'm currently having a go at using musical notation to learn a few christmas carols.  Its easy stuff and I can use it to learn quickly BUT the only way I would know that what I am playing is "correct" is because I know what the music should sound like because I have heard it thousands of times.  So, seeing the music on the page is not enough.  You have to know what it "sounds" like to be "authentic".

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

corryhully

like buying a racehorse then training it to limp.
nice one speed demon. think i may have to steel this.
all the best
terry

Speed Demon

Terry, be careful repeating anything I say. One idiot on this planet is enough, if you listen to Mrs Demon
reminding me of how smart I am.

Gene

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.

Gu Djin

Talking of reading music and understanding what the song was about, reminds me of a song done by an excellent guitarist friend of mine, who was learning new techniques from the web and from midi files.  He completed this really intricate song, not having heard the original.  He played it extremely well from tab.  It was only after listening to it several times did I twig that it was "Bright Eyes".  His interpretation was so precise to the tab and midi file he was listening to - it disguised the original feel of the song and was almost a new creation.
Guild Starfire 5, Fender Telecaster, Fender Stratocaster, K Yairi and Walden and a 12 Stagg string acoustic guitar and other music making boxes - including mandolin, bouzouki and 5 string banjo, uke and acoustic bass - a few M-Audio keyboards and a flute - all played and treated with equal love and attention - zoom ut 2 pedal and Logic Pro X

Speed Demon

Way too many people have problems understanding single syllable words, never mind reading music.
That's the only thing I can think of that might explain folks getting themselves killed running Stop signs.
One syllable must be confusing them, so don't expect miracles reading all those funny-looking squiggles and dots on sheet music.

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.

Gritter

If a musician falls in the forest is the noise he makes musical (if no one is there to hear it)?

FuzzFace

Quote from: oldrottenhead on December 08, 2010, 12:49:14 PMi think that anything you can get a noise, sound or whatever is fair game,

they band faust where filmed "playing" a cement mixer.

There was a guy who put pickups on the beams underneath the Lion's Gate Bridge in Vancouver. 

Cars passing overhead produced a steady rhythm, and the moving tension in cables produced an amazing plucking sound.

I wish I could find these recordings.  Absolutely amazing stuff.