If we can't read music are we musicians??

Started by j.g., December 06, 2010, 02:57:03 PM

henwrench

Quote from: Saijinn Maas on December 08, 2010, 11:07:16 AMNot to change the subject, but this reminds me of a similar debate I had about whether people who use programs to make music, without ever actually using an instrument, are musicians.

Worms. Opened. Can. Uh-Oh..... :D :D :D

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Speed Demon

Sai, now you've done it! You've released the Demon of Confusion upon an unsuspecting world.

Looks like I picked a lousy day to quit drinking antifreeze and snorting Draino.

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.

AndyR

Quote from: henwrench on December 08, 2010, 11:10:11 AM
Quote from: Saijinn Maas on December 08, 2010, 11:07:16 AMNot to change the subject, but this reminds me of a similar debate I had about whether people who use programs to make music, without ever actually using an instrument, are musicians.

henwrench

:D

I just had a thought - I wanna hear someone making music with a can of worms... I reckon we must have a few people creative enough or, er, crazy enough to give it a go...

But they'll have to write the parts out and post them with the track before we'll acknowledge them as true musicians, obviously...
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Tony W

Quote from: henwrench on December 08, 2010, 11:10:11 AM

henwrench

can of worms, exactly. This will be a lot less of a one sided debate.

I'm completely on the fence, because I'm a backer whore. I'd love to make the music that my soul is yearning for, but I'm not there yet. While I'm building my skill set, I feel marginally justified in taking advantage of a few applications which make life easier, but I have absolutely no intention of building a reliance on them.

When I am using a software application to make music, I feel like I'm using cheat codes on a video game.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

little_chick

Idk, I think it definitely takes some musical creativity to put together DJ mixes, even if they aren't the ones actually playing the music.  I don't think just anyone could take a bunch of samples and make them into a flowing musical piece.  Just like not anyone could pick up a guitar or sit at a piano and make music out of the notes they can play.

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Saijinn Maas

Quote from: little_chick on December 08, 2010, 11:42:59 AMIdk, I think it definitely takes some musical creativity to put together DJ mixes, even if they aren't the ones actually playing the music.  I don't think just anyone could take a bunch of samples and make them into a flowing musical piece.  Just like not anyone could pick up a guitar or sit at a piano and make music out of the notes they can play.

Would that put them more in the realm of "composer" rather than musician?

Some of these people are really good at what they do. Being able to put music together using samples and such. I don't have vested interest in this one or the other. I just thought it was a more interesting debate as the reading music one seems pretty one-sided.

Oldrottenhead

i think that anything you can get a noise, sound or whatever is fair game, whether that be a musical instrument, a found object or software program, they all need a human interface. even putting samples together i would say falls into that category.

i saw quite an interesting program on bbc4 about krautrock. and they band faust where filmed "playing" a cement mixer.

now where can i get a can of worms, damn soil still frozen solid. when are we getting that global warming we where promised .

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Speed Demon

You only have to ask yourself, "Does the end justify the means?"
If your answer is yes, then use every musical idea/device/weapon at your disposal.

As far as I know there is no limit to the universe we live in, so why limit your creativity?
To me that's like buying a racehorse then training it to limp.

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.

Gu Djin

I like the term "creative artists and musicians".  Doesn't really matter what you use as long as you make it into something new.

Now a can of worms are not really fair when fishing for trout I heard, it has to be attracted by something artificial, from fur feather and tinsel.

I was looking forward to slipping into the garden to pluck an orange in the same way we did in Cyprus...Ahh "Squid and Chips" and an ouzo ......
Guild Starfire 5, Fender Telecaster, Fender Stratocaster, K Yairi and Walden and a 12 Stagg string acoustic guitar and other music making boxes - including mandolin, bouzouki and 5 string banjo, uke and acoustic bass - a few M-Audio keyboards and a flute - all played and treated with equal love and attention - zoom ut 2 pedal and Logic Pro X

Tony W

Ironic that worms has come to be the subject matter. Saturday my girlfriend found the bait cooler at the local gas station. She brought home a dozen worms to feed to her chickens.

She said "these worms are huge" when she opened the container in the house. Immediately my evil side kicked in, and I told her that she was going to choke the chickens if she tried to feed them full sized worms. I explained that she needed to cut them up into bite sized chunks.

I don't know why, but she believed me. She went through 4 kitchen knives trying to find the right one to chop up worms with. Unfortunately it was my turn to do the dishes.

/rant

Resume music....

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR