If we can't read music are we musicians??

Started by j.g., December 06, 2010, 02:57:03 PM

Speed Demon

Kenneth, I couldn't agree more.

Same goes for TV shows that may or may not be offensive to some people. That is what the channel selector is for. As well as the OFF switch.

Some people need to thicken their tinfoil hats. Some of those Cosmic Rays must be leaking through.

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.

Redler

Geoff, if his/her world is so black and white, play a certain record to that person and ask him/her mention which of players are musicians and which are non-musicians. I think it would be easy to that intelligent person you discussed with ;) .

Kari

recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

henwrench

In my experience, those that can read music are brilliant interpreters. They can play anything you put in front of them, on their little silver music stands. Take away the notation, remove the dots...... and, well, they're basically fucked. Don't know what to do. Couldn't even play a scale. Can't make a sound. Stumped. HA HA.

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Tony W

Quote from: henwrench on December 08, 2010, 09:48:31 AMIn my experience, those that can read music are brilliant interpreters. They can play anything you put in front of them, on their little silver music stands. Take away the notation, remove the dots...... and, well, they're basically fucked. Don't know what to do. Couldn't even play a scale. Can't make a sound. Stumped. HA HA.

henwrench

So by definition, those that can read music AKA "Real Musicians" in this case are basically puppets.  One either needs to pull strings to get them to function, or stick an arm up their ass to manipulate the outcome?

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

henwrench

Quote from: Tony W on December 08, 2010, 10:01:39 AMOne either needs to pull strings to get them to function, or stick an arm up their ass to manipulate the outcome?

Suberbly put. Yes. You got it.

henwrench

recorder
Boss Micro BR

little_chick

I think being able to read music would be helpful, but certainly not a prerequisite to being a good musician.  I have to agree with the viewpoint that you could get too reliant on sheet music (or even tabs) and not be able to let go of those crutches.  That would hamper creativity, which is what being a musician is all about.

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Speed Demon

Henwrench, I ran into exactly the situation you described. I was invited to join a newly forming band.
Three of the five members were graduates of various musical conservatories. Only me and the vocalist were non-graduates.

After two months of rehearsals the band wasn't ready to play out.
If even so much as one misplaced note or quaver appeared, they would stop the song and spend the next ten minutes arguing over that note. I don't think it ever occurred to any of them to either modify the "offending" note, or simply eliminate it and get on with the damn song.
I finally had enough of that, said my goodbyes and moved on. I wanted to play, not waste my time analyzing the music to death.

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.

Bluesberry

Quote from: Speed Demon on December 08, 2010, 10:06:59 AMI wanted to play, not waste my time analyzing the music to death.
Thats it right there Gene, hit the nail on the head.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

henwrench

Quote from: Bluesberry on December 08, 2010, 10:08:46 AM
Quote from: Speed Demon on December 08, 2010, 10:06:59 AMI wanted to play, not waste my time analyzing the music to death.
Thats it right there Gene, hit the nail on the head.

I think it was Steve Martin who said 'Talking about music is like dancing around a picture.' Something like that anyway.

henwrench

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Saijinn Maas

Reading music has nothing to do with being a musician. Music notation is useful in writing down music for other musicians to play. Nothing more.

Not to change the subject, but this reminds me of a similar debate I had about whether people who use programs to make music, without ever actually using an instrument, are musicians.