intellectual property question

Started by FuzzFace, December 02, 2010, 12:44:45 PM

FuzzFace

If I make an album of cover songs, is it a big international intellectual internet no-no to post it online at one of these online music sites?

Oldrottenhead

i would imagine so, sites like soundclick don't allow covers unless you can prove you have been given permission by the author. the same rules apply to youtube but that doesn't seem to deter people from posting covers there.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Geir

I post covers here, and only here. It would be good if the music business had some kinda system that would allow and even encourage the posting of covers ( with some sort of mechanism giving the owners of the rights their fair share (of usually nothing :) )).
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Ferryman

You can, but you better be prepared to pay, see here for what Soundclick says:

http://www.soundclick.com/solutioncenter/default.cfm?subOf=134

Best avoided IMO unless you have the original artist's express permission or you are prepared to pay. And don't forget the big labels/publishers have people/bots trawling the internet for copyright infringement (see how quickly many YouTube videos get taken down), so tread with care.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR