What songs would you like to cover? ...a wish list

Started by Greeny, November 04, 2008, 02:36:28 AM

Greeny

Quote from: Dmann on November 09, 2008, 09:49:56 PMJohn Lee Hooker : One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer

Have you heard the George Thorogood cover of this? It's f*cking awesome. One of my faves.

Dmann

Ya actually that was the version I was referring to, for some reason I put John Lee Hooker instead.... probably cause i was just watching a bunch of vids of him back in the 60's on youtube hehe.

madrab

George T. is one mean guitarist.

I just tried Pretty woman by Albert King. It's soo hard to play that Albert King stuff, either you copy his solos or at least his style, which is — for me — very hard, or you try to break free. But it's like the song wants that "written in stone" licks of Albert King.

I finally feel comfortable covering Freddie King's Hideaway. I guess I am old enough accept the way I do it.

This list has more to do with guitarists than with songs (and it could be much longer but I must go and buy som dinner to the family)
Anything by neil young — old or new, I wish I could get that bigger than life electric sound of his.
Jimmie Vaughan - Extra Jimmies, you name it I consider him as one of the absolute best
David Lindley - Talkin to the whinos, I Just Can't Work No Longer...
Buddy Guy — just one tone would do
Jeff Beck — his Pork pie hat as an example

And I like covers that make something new of the song. I have had this idea of blues versions of Devo...

(better go now...)

Greeny

Quote from: madrab on November 10, 2008, 08:20:15 AMAnd I like covers that make something new of the song.

I like covers like that too... where the new version isn't a 'safe' copy of the original.

I've been toying with the idea of a spiky guitar version of Kraftwerk's 'The Model'. It's one of those things that'll work really well, or be a total load of b*llocks!  :D

alitivity

I have always wanted to do a tuned down/ slowed down Soundgardenish version of Paul Simon's - Call Me Al

Greeny

Quote from: alitivity on November 10, 2008, 09:53:39 AMI have always wanted to do a tuned down/ slowed down Soundgardenish version of Paul Simon's - Call Me Al

Sound great... do it!  :D

Greeny

'Switchboard Susan' by Nick Lowe

'O Lucky Man' Alan Price

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Farmjazz

QuoteI like covers like that too... where the new version isn't a 'safe' copy of the original.

Me, too. That's a main theme in jazz; take a standard tune and 'tweak it' your own way. Oh, and it better be good!

Along the lines of Hayseed Dixie, one of the bands that cover rock music in a bluegrass style, I want to cover "Say it Loud - I'm Black and I'm Proud" by James Brown with my hillbillie stringband! Perhaps just an instrumental version to make people cock their head and think ... I know that tune, I just can't put my finger on it.

We do the same thing with Tom Petty's "Breakdown" - its a blast to look at people's faces when they hear that out of context. They know it, but they don't.