Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Greeny

Quote from: ronhh on November 04, 2008, 07:34:17 PMNick Drake...Good....Mariah Carey....Not Good.   "Thoughts of Mary Jane", "Fruit Tree", "At the Chime of a City Clock" favorite Nick Drake tracks. He was so talented.  Don't get me started.

My dream cover (aside from my teenage dreams of being a rat pack crooner) would be one of several Van Morrison tunes; maybe a remake of "Us and Them", any Beatles, or "Behind Blue Eyes"; and if all else fails, Telly Savales or Capt. Kirk doing Whitney Houston......kidding, please.

Ronnie

I think we have a lot of the same influences. Nick Drake is sheer genius - both vocally, and for his beautiful songwriting and playing. He's a big influence, though it wouldn't be that obvious in my songs. Covering him musically is next to impossible though, as I believe he made up his own weird tunings and guarded them jealously. But if anyone can do it, YOU CAN Ronnie!  :)

I know a few people who like Nick Drake, and we argue about which was his best album. Nobody agrees with me that 'Bryter Later' is the best - but I'd always say that it is because 'At the Chime of a city clock' is my favourite Nick Drake song.

I like playing (and singing) 'Wish You Were Here' by Pink Floyd, but have always wanted to to 'Us and Them' and 'Time'.

p.s. I've just bought Dave Gilmours new album and dvd - 'Live in Gdansk', and it's incredible.

Bluesberry

Ok, I'll give it a go: Here is my wish list.
"In the Presence of the Lord" - Eric Clapton
"I can't Reach You" - The Who
"A Million Miles Away" - Rory Gallagher
"Here Comes The Flood" - Peter Gabriel
"Isn't It a Pity" - George Harrison
"I Shall Be Released" - The Band

Is my love for 1968-1974 era music showing? :-[  :-*

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oldrottenhead

i think here comes the flood was 76 /77 or thereabout, i love the version he does with robert fripp on fripps album exposure, just piano vocals and some frippertonics very bare but so powerful
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Bluesberry

ORH, That sounds right. It was on his first solo album.  I was thinking that it was written around the end of his time in Genesis which would put the writing around 1974.  Not sure though.  I like the simpler arrangement also with just his voice and piano.  I actually get shivers listening to his voice on that version.  That is why I could never actually try to cover this song, I could never get anywhere close to what Peter Gabriel does vocally.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oldrottenhead

id like to have a go at it, but i'd have to put my voice through a pitch shifter to reach the high notes lol
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

beleg

If I thought I could do it justice, I would love to do a little wing (Hendrix) cover.

Flash Harry

Quote from: oldrottenhead on November 05, 2008, 07:12:11 AM
QuoteTransmission or Dance to the Radio by Joy Div

is one song

They are, or it is, that's what old age does to you, it's 29 years since I saw them, shortly before Ian Curtis finished himself off.

Either would be great to record  ;D
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Dmann

Metallica : Nothing else matters
 Pink Floyd : Wish you were Here
 The Doors : Roadhouse Blues, People are strange
 Jhon Lee Hooker : One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer - G.Thorogood version :P
 Van Halen : Drop dead legs, Icecream man
 Black Sabbath : The Wizard, faries wear boots

just a few off the top of my head.