'The Day that Marc Bolan Died'

Started by Greeny, November 03, 2008, 03:51:47 AM

Greeny

Wow! I never expected to see this one bumped, lol. Thanks!

Glad to meet another Bolan fan though!

guitarron

o wow never heard this one glad it got bumped
he definitely left us too early

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

OsCKilO

This track stands out!

Your vocal sounds different and more edgey!!!!!

The E.M.O Loves this one!!!!

Peace Tim

T(Osckilo)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

SteveB

GNY - Many tribute songs don't carry well because of the essentially-personal nature of the genre. However, Elton John's original Candle In the Wind was a scorcher which most could relate to, but then if you take away the mawkish input from the 2nd attempt, for Diana, you are left with a quite awful rendition.
Your song for MB leans heavily toward the former, thankfully. I too was a considerable T.Rex fan (as opposed to Marc Bolan fan), because I'm afraid after The Slider, apart from a couple of singles, Children Of The Revolution etc, I gave up listening to the increasingly ego-trite and banal offerings from Marc. When he sang the line: 'Did you ever see a woman coming out of New York City with a gun in her hand?', I reluctatntly shook my head and didn't listen to anything again, apart from my vinyl copies of Electric Warrior and The Slider. So when he died, I was actually quite emotionless and couldn't really believe that I'd been such a fan. I actually saw T.Rex live in 1972 and the memory yet lives. I'm glad to see that the core of the T.Rex music is appreciated nowadays, and if your song enables people on the Forum to look up the best of what is on offer from the time then that's a job well done.
The song in its conception and playing are up to your usual very-high standards, with of course the tenor of your youthful-self pervading, but if I'm honest, I don't think it would have a shelf-life that would last as long as some of your other work uploaded here. But definitely worth a listen, as are all your songs.
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

hooper

Yeah, Beatles and Bowie.  That's it. For some reason at the beginning it seems like this could sit beside Elanore Rigby but then gets more ziggy after that.  Always a pleasure to follow you down these little melodic trails...
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
'If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?' - TSE

The Reverend 48

WOW I thought I was alone in digging Marc (especially from My people were fair up to Slider)...Tim thanks for bringing it all back
This is deffo on to my Xplod

knniggits

He's not the messiah he's a very naughty boy!

Bosko Schwartz

Quote from: Greeny on November 03, 2008, 04:46:19 AMThanks guys. This forum really gives you a boost when you feel like you're floundering a bit.

I'm in that 'just recorded' phase of being too close to it to judge. I spent so long f*cking around with the bass on it last night that I was starting to get bored of my own voice! It sometimes takes a few weeks to be able to stand back from a song and listen to it objectively.

My lead guitarist skills are almost non-existant, but I did try to give it a bit of glam-era (Ziggy Stardust / Jeepster) crunch on the electric. 

Floundering?  Your "floundering" would be the absolute pinnacle of most people's musical careers.  Another fine track, and I absolutely LOVE the subject matter.  Again, we share another musical influence (what else is new?) in Marc Bolan.  I really love his early stuff with John's Children and Tyrannosaurus Rex -- perhaps even more than T.Rex -- but it's all great.  This definitely has the early Bowie and particularly Ziggy Stardust vibe (another of my favorites).  You nailed it with the guitar, vocals, and melodies.

Sublime, Tim.  I don't think there is such thing as "floundering" for you, musically. :o

Next time I'm in London (which will be the first time), we need to have a beer or 9 together; I'll have you take me to your favorite pub. :)

Would love to see Tharek, Mike (FH), Mike (48), Jim (ORH), facemask, SteveB, and others in the UK as well.  Maybe Geir can swing by too; Norway can't be too far ... ;D
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

Oldrottenhead

QuoteWould love to see Tharek, Mike (FH), Mike (48), Jim (ORH), facemask, SteveB, and others in the UK as well.  Maybe Geir can swing by too; Norway can't be too far .
if there is drinking involved i'll do my best to get there, drink food and music in no particular order non o that sex and drugs n rock n roll.
beers n grub n rock n roll then mibbes a wee snuggle up to mrs orh.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Tangled Wires

Great song, and I agree with the others, this IS a standout track. Your lead skills are excellent, despite what you say about them, and it fits in really well with the rest of the song.

Loved Bolan and T-Rex, and this is a fitting tribute

recorder
Boss Micro BR