'The Day that Marc Bolan Died'

Started by Greeny, November 03, 2008, 03:51:47 AM

Greeny

TIM GREEN - the day that Marc Bolan died
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Here's a new self-penned 4-track of mine. Not one of my stand-out tracks, but I kind of like the tune. And Marc Bolan was a big hero of mine, so there's a bit of love in there.

There's a standard acoustic going through GTR+MIC, Hofner electric, and bass. 

Flash Harry

Tim

I'd disagree with you here, I think that this is fantastic.

I'd place this around '72, '73 musically, thinking mainly of Bowie, Hunky Dory and Ziggy. Bolan was arguably at his most prolific and creative around this time, so I think that it hits the mark.

A powerful track, so many influences. Beatles and Bowie are prominent. I love it.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Oldrottenhead

i second that flash. you took the words out of my mouth.

QuoteNot one of my stand-out tracks
you are too modest tim. its not filler its killer, whens the cd coming out.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Greeny

Thanks guys. This forum really gives you a boost when you feel like you're floundering a bit.

I'm in that 'just recorded' phase of being too close to it to judge. I spent so long f*cking around with the bass on it last night that I was starting to get bored of my own voice! It sometimes takes a few weeks to be able to stand back from a song and listen to it objectively.

My lead guitarist skills are almost non-existant, but I did try to give it a bit of glam-era (Ziggy Stardust / Jeepster) crunch on the electric. 

ronhh

The title alone is enough to merit serious listening.  I still remember a t-shirt I had (the one with Bolan in the top hat).  The song is really cool, and for guys growing up in early 70's, it resonates.  What a deep idea for a song....I really need to get out more....
"Honest honey, this is the last guitar I'll ever buy"

Greeny

Quote from: ronhh on November 04, 2008, 07:12:56 PMThe title alone is enough to merit serious listening.  I still remember a t-shirt I had (the one with Bolan in the top hat).  The song is really cool, and for guys growing up in early 70's, it resonates.  What a deep idea for a song....I really need to get out more....

Thanks Ronnie - it's more of a memory than an idea. It's all based on actual events (from when I was 10...), which means I'm not faking the sentiment / emotion, just keeping it real  :D

danieldesete

Lovely song, really accomplished... I am ashamed to say I never herd of Marc Bolan  :o. Well I know now that he is dead. Any record to suggest listening, what's his best one ?
hou hou ha ha

Greeny

Quote from: danieldesete on November 05, 2008, 06:12:35 AMLovely song, really accomplished... I am ashamed to say I never herd of Marc Bolan  :o. Well I know now that he is dead. Any record to suggest listening, what's his best one ?

The album Electric Warrior!

See the link below for starters. This is him live in his prime. He never got enough credit for his live prowess. He totally carries the song, and he's a much better guitarist than people give him credit for...

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=8CwKJapgzFk

danieldesete

thanks for the link... Isn't youtube fabulous to discover artists !
Is a jeepster someone who drives a jeep?
great song
daniel
hou hou ha ha

cuthbert

Superb! I love this! I'm a huge Marc Bolan/T. Rex fan, and I was only a kid as well when he died. I didn't really truly discover T. Rex until the 90s.

I agree with Flash Harry...to me this sounds almost like a Bowie tribute to Marc, with great touches of Marc vocal and guitar stylings. Much appreciated!

To anyone curious, in addition to 'Electric Warrior', I'd also recommend 'Futuristic Dragon', my current fave on the CD player. But whatever you can find by Tyrannosaurus/T. Rex, you cannot go wrong.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase