windows vista

Started by holdempok, November 02, 2008, 05:18:40 PM

holdempok

is anyone else having problems listen to posted songs? It's only letting me hear a partial of the song.
Why don't we do it on the road?

Flash Harry

I detest vista with a vengance. I've put XP pro back on my machine.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

64Guitars

I installed Ubuntu Linux on my computer in April 2008. At the time, I wasn't sure if I was ready to make the switch from Windows XT completely, so I created a dual boot configuration. At startup, I choose my OS from a menu. But now I always choose Ubuntu. I hope to buy a new computer this winter, and I will install only Ubuntu on it.

You really ought to give it a try. Fortunately, it's easy to do so without even installing it on your computer or disrupting your current configuration in any way. Simply download the Ubuntu CD image and burn it to a CD. Then boot from the CD. You will have the full OS available to you and you can even temporarily create data and install programs without touching your hard disk (it creates a RAM disk for temporary storage instead of using your hard disk).

After you're blown away by how awesome Ubuntu is, you'll probably want to install it permanently. The CD makes that easy to do. Just click on the Install icon on the Ubuntu desktop. It will guide you through the install. You'll probably want a dual boot configuration at first. Backup your entire hard drive, then let the Ubuntu CD guide you through the process. It will automatically detect your Windows partition and let you re-size it to make room for the Ubuntu partitions. It's pretty easy.

I highly recommend that you try Ubuntu. You've nothing to lose since booting from the CD doesn't affect your current Windows installation at all. So go for it. You'll be glad you did.

By the way, most Windows programs can run under Ubuntu if you install the Wine package. But there are so many great linux programs available that you probably won't need many Windows programs. The Ubuntu installation includes all the essential programs: Firefox web browser, Evolution e-mail, OpenOffice.org office suite (compatible with Microsoft Office files), MP3, photo, and video viewers, and much more.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

I forgot to mention that there are lots of great music apps available for linux (all free, of course). This site has links to some of them:

http://linux-sound.org/

Here are a few screenshots of some popular linux audio apps (click the picture to visit the website):

Ardour digital audio workstation

Rosegarden MIDI sequencer

Hydrogen drum machine

Also, BR Wave Converter and BR Rhythm Editor run just fine under Wine. BR Explorer also runs under Wine, although the virtual drive used for loading BR backups from your hard drive into BR Wave Converter isn't currently working.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

guitarron

Quote from: 64Guitars on November 04, 2008, 10:40:54 AMBy the way, most Windows programs can run under Ubuntu if you install the Wine package. But there are so many great linux programs available that you probably won't need many Windows programs. The Ubuntu installation includes all the essential programs: Firefox web browser, Evolution e-mail, OpenOffice.org office suite (compatible with Microsoft Office files), MP3, photo, and video viewers, and much more.

sounds interesting-do you know of anyone using sonar by chance?
got at pc i could put it on

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

64Guitars

Quote from: guitarron on November 04, 2008, 04:20:00 PMsounds interesting-do you know of anyone using sonar by chance?
got at pc i could put it on

Sorry, I don't know of anyone who's used Sonar under linux. And, from what I read online tonight, it doesn't sound too promising. It seems that it doesn't currently work well under Wine and it doesn't look like Cakewalk will ever make a native linux version.

But REAPER works under Wine. You could try that. Or go with a native linux DAW like Ardour or MusE.

Linux runs well on older PCs that won't run Windows XP or Vista adequately. I have Ubuntu installed on an old Hewlett-Packard Pentium III with 384MB of memory, and it runs better than the Windows 98SE that came with the computer. So, if you have a spare computer around, why don't you use it exclusively for Ubuntu so you can experiment with some free linux music apps, and leave Sonar on the Windows PC.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website