Ballad: Hold On (work in progress, opinions needed)

Started by stoman, November 16, 2010, 12:42:29 PM

holdempok

This is really a nice song. I would love to hear this as a duet also.

Great production Stoman.
Why don't we do it on the road?

stoman

A duet? Great idea. Would you be game? :)

Regards,
  Steffen

stoman

I put a little more work into it:

Edit: Removed. Please see first post for current version!

The mix may be better than the first one, but it probably still is not good. I cannot mix on weekdays after work as I don't hear well due to my high blood pressure and tiredness.

I think the arrangement still has holes, but I'm not sure how to fill them. Drums probably won't work, so I have to find alternatives ...

Regards,
  Steffen

Ferryman

This is much better, I like the instruments in the part before the final "hold ons". It hangs together more for me, although I would still be tempted to throw more strings in, and even a bit of brass. I agree drums is not a good idea, but some bass could work nicely. I liked this more than the original.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

scottieD

Lovely tune...beautifully sung...if you don't think it needs anything, don't! It works for me... ;D

recorder
Boss BR-800
   Okay to cover...not sure why you'd want to though...

stoman

Thanks, Nigel and Scottie!

I'll see what I can do, but I need to get the song out of my head first. I'm no longer objective after spending endless hours fixing at least the worst clicks and smacks (and the flat notes) on the vocal track. I know every note now ...

Nigel, there is a bass in the song already. :)

BTW - I updated the mix again.

Regards,
  Steffen

stoman

I think I'm at the end of the line. It probably won't get much better.

The vocals are a big problem. Great singing, but terrible recording. There is nothing in the range 6-7 kHz, and the track is full of clicks and smacks. Impossible to fix them all - at least with the tools I have. It also has some very strange and unpleasant room modes, so whatever I try, it won't sit right in the mix.

This is a compromise. Probably not a good one, but the best I can do at the moment.

The link in the first post has been updated. I'd be happy to get some comments. Have I improved the song or ruined it?

Regards,
  Steffen

Ferryman

This is much better Steffen, I really like what you have done with the instrumental parts before the final "hold on" section at the end. You didn't "kitchen sink" it but the mix is much better now and the way it builds from 3:30 really gets the hairs on the back of the neck tingling. Excellent work. I found the bass as well, very subtly mixed, I thought it was left hand piano! I can hear what you mean about the vocals now, it's a pity but the performance makes up for it.

This isn't my kind of music at all but I am really enjoying this. You'll have me going to West End musicals next :-)

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

des0free

Beautiful.  This is on par with any of the top stuff on broadway in my opinion.
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Nelson

This is a beautiful piece. the musical arrangement and musicianship is outstanding.
The lyrics and vocals are just beautiful.
A well crafted piece of work.
Congrats to all involved.

Nelson
recorder
Reaper

recorder
Boss BR-600