For fans of The Band...

Started by Greeny, October 31, 2008, 08:27:49 AM

Greeny

This is a great site (if you like The Band!). It has pretty much all the chords and lyrics you'll ever need.

I'm pretty sure there are a few other Band fans on here  :)

And for those who don't know them - check them out. They're some of the most (if not THE most) multi-talented and brilliant musicians ever assembled in one group.

http://theband.hiof.no/lyrics/index.html

Bluesberry

Oh yea, count me in.  I love The Band.  I really love the song structures and the fact that there was no one stand-out guy, the group and the music was the most important thing. I love the story how Eric Clapton was at the top of his game, guitar God, Cream, etc and then he heard The Band's first album and it totally messed him up and made him feel like a  faker, their music was just so pure.  It messed him up bad.  Thats powerful music.

Its funny, I have never really played/tried to learn much of their music, too much reverence or something.  Thanks for the link.  It is time to learn some of these songs. ;D

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

madrab

Thanks,
They are amazing. I feel the same as bluesberry, I like them but never learned any of there songs. It's like they are too good.
— Real musicians.

Does anyone know a good book about them?

Greeny

I know what you both mean - The Band are almost impossible to cover convincingly. I don't usually do covers full stop, but I've meddled with their song 'Ophelia' a couple of times (...never happy with the result!). The reason I went looking for their tabs / chords this time was for the song 'It makes no difference'. It's not one of their best known songs, but I suddenly felt a real urge to do a version of it. It's just a stunning piece of songwriting.

And Robbie Robertson must be one of the most underrated guitarists ever.