Metallica with Ray Davies - You really got me

Started by Wartime Novelty, November 11, 2010, 11:29:26 AM

Gnasty

Quote from: Ferryman on November 12, 2010, 04:30:47 AMMetallica do punk! Great!! This song was covered by many punk bands, and the Metallica version really embodies that ethic. The original was, and still remains, an absolute classic.

Death Magnetic, the over-egnineered Metallica album that really sparked off the "loudness wars" controversy. Also called "Fridge Magnetic" by some folks.....

Cheers,

Nigel

I wouldn`t say Death Magnetic is overly engineered at all. I think Rick Rubin did a great job getting them back to where they belong with a fresh change. If you have the money to do an album like that and hire the #1 producer and hardly make money selling the album i would say kudos to them although it did sell well.

..And Justice for All is their worst engineered album IMO ,although the songs are amazing. Can`t wait for the remasters one day.
And if you saw them live 7 times like i have now you would know they don`t need an album to make them sound good. They have a great raw sound live and its all energy!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Wartime Novelty

DM is over engineered in the fact that everything is compressed to hell and has no life in it.

But i agree they have an awesome natural raw sound.

I also disagree that Rubin is #1 producer every album he does clips to hell and has no dynamics.

I do agree that he is a career saver for many though.

I much prefer the work Bob Rock & flemming rasmussen did with them other than justice & st anger as the production was naff on both
Current equipment Ibanez RGA42FM with Bare Knuckle Miracle Man & Mississippi Queen, Marshall TSL601, Shure SM57, Line6 UX1, M-Audio MA30 monitors