Metallica with Ray Davies - You really got me

Started by Wartime Novelty, November 11, 2010, 11:29:26 AM

Wartime Novelty

I arent sure what to make of this so far

My initial thoughts are the production is far better than DM and hetfields voice is sounding awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkY4razN21k

what are your thoughts
Current equipment Ibanez RGA42FM with Bare Knuckle Miracle Man & Mississippi Queen, Marshall TSL601, Shure SM57, Line6 UX1, M-Audio MA30 monitors

Bluesberry

And where it all started...one of the first really hard rocking wonder songs...1964

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeYtfNm3xBM

I always liked this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB8WHA3WWz0

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Bluesberry

Interesting fact I found while browsing all things Kinks just a moment ago:
QuoteFuzzboxes gained wider popularity after a distorted sound was popularised by Dave Davies of British Invasion band The Kinks (It has already been noted that Davies had been influenced by American electric blues, though it is uncertain that Davies understood the precise engineering dynamics of the "Chicago tone".). In Davies' case, he played through a small amp whose speaker cone had been slashed with a razor blade, distorting the signal. In 1964, he plugged the doctored amp into a Vox AC30[citation needed] to record "You Really Got Me", the band's first number one single and the first popular rock & roll song using a distorted power chord riff(Walser 1993, p. 9). Fuzzboxes became popular as a much easier way to create a distorted sound.

So he plugged the output of an amp into anther amp.  We all know that is a no-no, destroys amps that way, also got a tone that was totally original at the time.  Don't try it at home.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Wartime Novelty

that is some interesting info there bluesberry.

Thanks for that
Current equipment Ibanez RGA42FM with Bare Knuckle Miracle Man & Mississippi Queen, Marshall TSL601, Shure SM57, Line6 UX1, M-Audio MA30 monitors

Gnasty

I already knew about this but didn`t hear it yet. Hetfield`s voice is different but smokin good.

That`s pretty cool info you got Dave. I`m not gonna try it but sometimes things can work even if they think they don`t. If i tried that i`d be electricuted for sure!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Ferryman

Metallica do punk! Great!! This song was covered by many punk bands, and the Metallica version really embodies that ethic. The original was, and still remains, an absolute classic.

Quote from: Gritter on November 12, 2010, 12:09:48 AMWhat's DM?

Death Magnetic, the over-egnineered Metallica album that really sparked off the "loudness wars" controversy. Also called "Fridge Magnetic" by some folks.....

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Kevin Mammoth

That is a pretty cool cover - the original remains an all time classic of course - the bit where the backing vox goes "oh yeah" is a personal fave, it is so basic but it tips the track into rock & roll ecstasy territory for me
recorder
Boss BR-1600

There are only 12 notes, how hard can it be?....

Gritter

Quotethe over-egnineered Metallica album

doesn't that apply to most of their albums?

Wartime Novelty

nope just death magnetic and justice

most of them are very pristine sounding but not OTT like most modern albums.

Ride the lightning and Load have two of my favourite production styles.

RTL more so