I think I solved my Internal Mic Humming problem!!

Started by Vanncad, November 10, 2010, 05:39:22 PM

Vanncad

Hey - I think I found a solution to the humming problem in my BR600 internal mics (it only took a couple years)

Problem:
My mics have been working for the last couple weeks and then all of a sudden today the left one started humming again.
* Needless to say it pissed me off to no end and I just about threw the thing out the window. I refrained from that action mostly because it would negate my membership in the Songcrafter's union.
So I started thinking about what could cause this problem, and I noticed that it was a very foggy and damp day today. I have had a suspicion that moisture might somehow be the culprit.

Solution:
I turned off the BR600.
I took a hair dryer and blew warm air into both internal mics and along the faders for about 30 seconds.
Then I turned the  BR600 back on and Voila! - Mics work fine, no hum, and no noise.

Why does this only affect the left mic  ???
Why does the humming last for days (and weeks) on end ???

- I don't know. If anyone has any ideas, I'd be glad to hear them.

I hope this post helps someone else. I'll add updates as required to this post if I come across any more problems.
On a side note: If anyone hears the sound of screaming, followed by breaking glass, and then a loud splash, that will just be me throwing the BR600 through my window out into the pool. This will also be a clear indaication that my solution did not work.
It ain't pretty being easy.

Okay to Cover

Tony W

I'm pretty sure if your 600 took a shit we'd manage to collect enough money to send you an 800 gift wrapped on the condition that you keep cranking out tunes.

I'm not buying humidity as the culprit. With a hair dryer you also introduced a shitload of heat to the device. If you were smoking crack while on the hair dryer, which I doubt, then you didn't introduce enough heat to cause solder to flow.... I believe thats about 375 degrees farenheit.

You also created a medium for expansion and contraction. I'd be interested to see how the device works when its cooled down to room temperature. Prior to giving it a toss, you found out a couple things, giving the "ole hair dryer" treatment buys you some mic time. The other thing is, you've probably reached the frustration level to where taking the device apart and checking for loose connections isn't a bad idea. I'd be sure to check the solder joints around the Mic wiring when you get around to it.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Tony W

Another thing I'd try if the mics start to give you a problem again is to flex the housing as much as you can without breaking it just to see if the symptoms change.

When I was 20 and a young Marine, I used to give radios a "drop test" before I'd take them apart just to rattle the things and see if they would start performing. I had the luxury of not paying the replacement cost if things got worse. These days I "flex" instead of drop.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Vanncad

oops  ???

Thanks Tony - I thought about that heat issue too, but the hairdryer was low, so I thought it would be OK.
P.S. - That crack line is hilarious!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I also did the "drop test" quite awhile ago and that had no effect. (I bounced it off my bed a few times)
I will try the "flex test" the next time it acts up.

I don't mind popping things open to have a look, but I'm just afraid of something "slipping" and not lining back up when I put it back together. Happened to me once on an old cassette deck, and I learned my lesson.

I'll keep you posted if I have any other problems.

Thanks man!!

Okay to Cover

OsCKilO

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Tony W

Quote from: OsCKilO on November 10, 2010, 07:51:37 PMyou got a pool?

Awesome!

This would be an example of Tharek focusing on the correct detail

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Geir

Quote from: Tony W on November 10, 2010, 09:37:56 PM
Quote from: OsCKilO on November 10, 2010, 07:51:37 PMyou got a pool?

Awesome!

This would be an example of Tharek focusing on the correct detail
Did Vann say anything else ???

And how can you get frustrated with a pool?

And of course Tharek didn't see anything else, ..... give him a word with double-o's and he's lost ;D
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Vanncad

UPDATE: BR600 seems to be still working (knock on wood). I'll try to bang out a tune on it soon.

Re Pool:
I've got a pool, but I'd rather have a garage. My wife won't let me fill it in. Maybe once the kids move out.
If you guys want to come over and play some hockey, it should be frozen over around mid-January.  ;D

QuoteAnd how can you get frustrated with a pool?

Geir  - anyone who would say that, has never owned a pool.  ;D ;D ;D ;D Cheers brother!

Okay to Cover