You've Done Nothing Wrong

Started by j.g., November 09, 2010, 07:51:43 AM

j.g.

You've Done Nothing Wrong
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Sorry to drop another on you today, but this is really just a test track. I recently got an acoustic and have recorded on the MBR and it sounded okay. This song I wrote over the weekend and have done on my Boss BR1180. I used an SM58 and recorded guitar and vocals together, with the mic about 12 inches from both. I then dropped the track onto the MBR to mix and get as an MP3. I just wondered whether the quality would be okay when put onto here. I think it needs a bit of tweeking but will do that the next time.
Its raining on and off here today so going to have a look at some more of these songs on here.

Redler

You have been very productive, lately! Very beautiful and melodic, Geoff! Sounds a bit 60's in my ear. Recording and music sounds good also technically! Fine track!!

Kari
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Tony W

sweet piece of music Geoff. I'm glad to hear you pick up an acoustic, it suits you as a musician perfectly.

What a quality listen.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Gu Djin

What do I do sit down and make music, or listen to it?  I live that dilemma all the time.  The making usually wins when the conditions are right.  But I do try to listen to as much as I can while doing other things, and comment when I can.

Glad the ball stopped in this slot - the listen was worth it.

Leigh
Guild Starfire 5, Fender Telecaster, Fender Stratocaster, K Yairi and Walden and a 12 Stagg string acoustic guitar and other music making boxes - including mandolin, bouzouki and 5 string banjo, uke and acoustic bass - a few M-Audio keyboards and a flute - all played and treated with equal love and attention - zoom ut 2 pedal and Logic Pro X

j.g.

I know you predicament Leigh. I have the same problem.
My work means I can listen to the music but don't always get much chance to comment. The quality on here is more to my taste than the radio, and you do get so many different styles to listen to. Some quality musicians on here do give a great listen and also some great advise.
Lucky it's been a bad weather day, so out came the guitar for a change and now hopefully chance to do some listening and commenting.
Geoff

stoman

I do listen to a lot of songs recently. Haven't had enough time to concentrate on new compositions anyway ... I have found a couple of songwriters on this site to be right up my alley and wouldn't want to miss  any of their songs.

Geoff, I really like your simple, melodic songs a lot. I can hear Mr. Lightfoot again here ...

Regards,
  Steffen

Geir

WOW

This is beautiful !!!Stunning !!!

My favourite of yours so far!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Bluesberry

I too love this one.  Maybe my favorite too.  I can't believe that is a sm58 recording that guitar, it really sounds good.  Rich, crisp without being too trebly, not boomy at all, just a really good rich acoustic sound.  Of course it does a good on your great vocals here.  I think it sounds great.  I will have to try this myself, I have a sm58, but have only used it on my vocals so far.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

j.g.

Hi - thanks for all the kind comments - glad you liked this one.
For BB and any others interested - I set up my Shure SM58 about 12 inches equidistance away from the acoustic sound hole and my big mouth, and recorded both dry and live together into the Boss BR1180. I did have an effect on through the headphones to get a good sound to listen to, but it was not recorded or the same one I used l when I used it to the MBR.
I then played back the one track adding the best effect I could find, that matched what I felt was right sound for the song, recording it direct (phono out to line in) onto the MBR.These tracks I bounced and then mastered to get MP3.
I used one effect on mastering, which I think was Pop mix.
Not being an expert in this recording process, I basically used my ears as the main equipment. As someone said "If it sounds good - it is good" and I am pleased you have found it good as well.
Geoff.

cuthbert

Geoff, this sounds wonderful to my ears listening from my laptop speakers - this is just a single audio track? The balancing was perfect - both your voice and the guitar sound pristine.

NB: one technical suggestion * -

Quote from: j.g. on November 10, 2010, 07:19:37 AMI then played back the one track adding the best effect I could find, that matched what I felt was right sound for the song, recording it direct (phono out to line in) onto the MBR.

You can avoid the digital to analog & analog to digital conversion that is happening when you record from one BR to another by using the BR Wave Converter software, although it probably requires a track mixdown on your BR-1180 first to retain the added effect, and then use the BR Wave Converter to extract a WAV file from your mixdown track which you can import directly into the Micro BR.

Takes a little longer, but it keeps everything digital without DA-AD conversion. But as I said before, this sounds great! So my technical advice might be more academic than strictly practical.

*EDIT: CORRECTION
It turns out the BR-1180 doesn't have a USB port, therefore one cannot use the BR Wave Converter software to get a mixdown WAV file out of the BR-1180. The only way to export a WAV file from this BR recorder is to write it to CD-R, but that requires the BR1-CD1 burner, which looks to be difficult to find. Another way to keep it wholly in the digital realm is to connect the digital out port to record it to a device that has a digital input port (these are also uncommon).

Sorry about the misstatement!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase