New DP-004 4-track pocketstudio from TASCAM

Started by 64Guitars, October 28, 2008, 03:03:58 PM

64Guitars

Readers of this forum might be interested to know that TASCAM has released a new 4-track pocketstudio today:

http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/2008/Tascam-DP-004-Digital-Pocketstudio.html

http://www.tascam.com/products/dp-004.html

It's slightly bigger than a Micro BR but smaller than a BR-600 (though slightly thicker).

Micro BR: 136.0 W x  81.5 D x 21.5 H (mm)
     DP-004: 155.0 W x 107.0 D x 33.5 H (mm)  (without projections)
     BR-600: 257.0 W x 183.0 D x 27.1 H (mm)

First impressions:

• Real rotary controls for adjusting levels and panning
  • Simple layout. I imagine the DP-004 would be very easy to operate.
  • Handles SD memory cards from 512MB to 2GB and SDHC cards from 4GB to 32GB.
  • File system includes a FAT 32 partition for file transfers, and one or more proprietary partitions for recording. The size and number of partitions varies with card size.
  • USB 2.0 (faster file transfers than Micro BR's USB 1.1)
  • Dual built-in microphones
  • Dual 1/4" input jacks which can be set to either mic or line. And one can also be set to guitar.
  • Multi-line display makes menu navigation easier.
  • Default page of display shows levels of all 4 tracks, the two input channels, and the two output channels (L/R).
  • Multi-level Undo/Redo with event history list for restore point selection (maximum 500 events).
  • Backup/restore of single songs rather than full card backup.
  • Includes 1GB SD memory card
  • Estimated street price of $199 US is about $30 less than a Micro BR

Dislikes:
  • No v-tracks. Although, bouncing is possible through a sort of temporary, virtual master track. So, for example, you can bounce tracks 1 through 4 to tracks 1 and 2, erasing the previous contents of tracks 1 and 2.
  • No effects.
  • No drum machine. Although, it has a built-in metronome.
  • Limited track editing. No way to copy or move portions of a track.

For some people with simpler needs, the DP-004 might be a better choice than the Micro BR. For example, someone who plays acoustic guitar and sings might have no need for effects, v-tracks and drums, and would benefit from the DP-004's simpler operation and practical features such as the rotary controls, multi-line display, fast USB 2.0, and high-capacity memory cards. But I suspect that most readers of this forum do not fit into that category and would be unwilling to give up the Micro BR's v-tracks, effects, and drum machine. Still, I think we'd all like to see Roland incorporate some of the DP-004's features into the next Micro BR.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Flash Harry

They ought to give you one of these to try. You have your finger right on the pulse of these things.
I'd trust a review from you far more than mag or web review.

Ask 'em.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Greeny

What are Tascam doing? No effects and drum machine? That barely qualifies it for a name like 'pocketstudio' !

I had their old 'portastudio 5' for around 6 years, and I loved how easy it was to use. It had good rhythms and passable effects, but the sound quality wasn't a patch on the BR. Not even close! Still, you could do complete songs on it, which looks beyond this latest addition to their range.

Great review / heads-up though 64Guitars!

And yes... it would be nice to think that Boss will look at this and get inspired to put some of the Tascam user-friendly interface features on board the next BR.

64Guitars

Quote from: LesPaulGoldTop on October 30, 2008, 10:01:26 AMWhat are Tascam doing? No effects and drum machine? That barely qualifies it for a name like 'pocketstudio' !

The built-in effects and drum machine were a big factor in my decision to buy my BR-864 several years ago, and I would certainly want my next recorder to have built-in effects and drums that are as good, or better than, the BR-864's. But not everyone cares about those features. Some people just want a good, inexpensive multitrack recorder that's easy to use. Depending on the style of music they play, they might not need effects and drums. For those people, the TASCAM DP-004 might be ideal.

Also, someone who already owns a good multi-effects unit like the Boss GT-PRO, Line 6 Pod, or VOX ToneLab, for example, may not care about built-in effects in a recorder. And some people prefer to create their drum tracks using computer software.

The DP-004 might also appeal to people who already own a larger, full-featured hard disk recorder like the Boss BR-1600 or Zoom HD16CD, or people who do all of their recording with a software DAW. For those people, the DP-004 might be seen as a very handy portable multitrack recorder to supplement their main system. Since they'd already have good effects and drums in their main system, the lack of those features in the DP-004 might not be a big concern. If I were in a band now, I wouldn't mind having a small recorder to take to rehearsals and gigs, and I think I might choose the DP-004 over the Micro BR, mainly because of the rotary controls but also for the memory card capacity, USB 2.0, and better display. Drums and effects wouldn't be a huge concern for me since I'd still have them in my BR-864 which I'd continue to use for most of my recording. As a supplement to my BR-864, the DP-004 would suit me. But for my main or only recorder, I wouldn't even consider anything that didn't include good effects and a drum machine.

Boss and Zoom both make guitar effects pedals and standalone drum machines, so including those features in their recorders is probably pretty easy for them. But other companies, such as TASCAM and Fostex, have lots of experience making high quality recording equipment, but no experience with guitar effects and drum machines. So it's not too surprising that they don't include them in their recorders. I think Fostex has some effects and amp models but I imagine they're somewhat limited compared to those offered by Boss and Zoom. Yamaha and Korg also have limited effects in their current multitrack recorders but no drum machines (although, Yamaha has a loop sampler which can be used to create rhythm tracks).

So, for anyone who considers built-in effects and a drum machine essential in a multitrack recorder, Boss and Zoom are probably the only brands to consider. Especially if you want drum pads like those on the BR-600 or the Zoom recorders. I don't think any other company offers a multitrack recorder that includes drum pads.

One last thought: Over the years, I've noticed that the features that cause the most confusion, frustration, and apprehension for many BR users are v-tracks, drum programming, and effects tweaking. So, it occurs to me that some people might see the DP-004's lack of v-tracks, drums, and effects as a good thing rather than a drawback. Not me though. I quite enjoy working with v-tracks, programming drums, and tweaking the effects. But I recognize that there are some people who will never be comfortable with those features and they might be better off with a DP-004 than a Micro BR.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Greeny

Yep - I guess everyone will have a different take on this, depending on whether they're a singer-songwriter who just wants everything in one 'box', or someone who is happier adding extra software and hardware to their recording suite to get a more bespoke / personal set up.  :)

Glenn Mitchell

1 1/2 years ago I was looking for a simple recorder for just recording lectures. The sales man convinced me that, for about the same price I could have a portable recording studio and I never looked back. I love the little thing. I don't use my bigger better Korg 1200 any more. Too complicated for songwriting.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

dade

I owned a DP-004. It has really good mics (better than MBR), but that's it. MBR is cheaper and you can do everything on it!

...I sold my DP-004 ;)

Ted

Quote from: dade on September 17, 2009, 07:09:17 PMI owned a DP-004. It has really good mics (better than MBR), but that's it. MBR is cheaper and you can do everything on it!

This does everything I thought I needed before I bought my Micro BR.  Now it seems painfully limited.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

dade

Quote from: Ted on September 18, 2009, 12:12:01 AMThis does everything I thought I needed before I bought my Micro BR.  Now it seems painfully limited.

really? :( :(

Ted

Quote from: dade on October 13, 2009, 04:07:37 AM
Quote from: Ted on September 18, 2009, 12:12:01 AMThis does everything I thought I needed before I bought my Micro BR.  Now it seems painfully limited.

really? :( :(

Clarification: Now this TASCAM unit seems painfully limited compared to the Micro BR.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac