Couple give $11.2 million lottery win to charities and family

Started by Kenneth, November 06, 2010, 07:47:52 AM

Kenneth

Allen and Violet Large of Nova Scotia Canada made a  decision to give away the  $11.2-million lottery win. All except 2%! What is that.... $220,000?

The couple says they managed to get by in their 147-year-old house with their 1987 Dodge Diplomat for many decades before winning the Lotto 649 draw last July.

It went to  over 70 churches, cemeteries, hospitals, fire departments and other charities and all of their 15 family members.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/101104/national/lotto_millions_gone

Hard to believe, but I applaud them, wishing I could see myself acting in a similar way.

I need to think on this for a bit, wondering how this life changing event would affect a person, it's not just about getting a pile of cash.
It affects everything from friendships, family relationships, the way you feel when you get up in the morning about life.....

Money isn't everything, and I personally dont have any desire to clutter up my life with a bunch of material "stuff", but the security of never having to go to a job for someone else again would be incredible.

I'd probably buy something that contained these, minus the Bigsby:

A person could work part time for charities and actually feel like they were accomplishing something to the benefit of others.
That would make getting up in the morning an easier thing to do.

So if you won the lottery, what would you do?
"...a guitar sound that you could curdle cream with." Ferryman

peterp

Applaud them for doing what they thought was right!

Myself I would first pay off my kids and my own debts, top up my retirement fund (don't have long till I an there).
And then disappear for a year or so just to think about what to do with the majority it.
Think it is best to have a good while to think about that kind of decision and make it with a clear head after the excitment overload of winning has passed.

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Quote from: - Newton Minow, head of FCC 1961"Television, America's vast wasteland"

Facemask93

No man nor Woman needs that kind of money , yes , look after family , then help people that dont have the means to give their kids a life saving operation , or a better quality of life , how good would you feel giving some poor kids a life to look forward too , nice one Ken , your a star mate

Rob

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

"All along the ancient wastes the thin reflections spin,
that gather all the times and tides at once we love within."
 - Roy Harper

Flash Harry

I would spend most of it on booze and wild women, the rest I would just fritter away....

Nah, I'd collect all you guys together, we'd write some hot shit rock and roll and we'd take it out on the road!

Then we could spend some of it on booze and wild women.....
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Geir

Quote from: Flash Harry on November 08, 2010, 05:00:16 PMI would spend most of it on booze and wild women, the rest I would just fritter away....

Nah, I'd collect all you guys together, we'd write some hot shit rock and roll and we'd take it out on the road!

Then we could spend some of it on booze and wild women.....
Now THAT seems like a plan to me  ;D ;D ;D

but I guess the boring answer is ... I'd get rid of my dept and secure my family ... get SOME new gear and give the rest to .......

WINE WOMEN AND SONG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just kidding

or not

please

someone

stop

me

::)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder