Condenser Mics

Started by rraguse, November 06, 2010, 06:49:14 AM

rraguse

Hey everybody, It's been a while but I'm back. I have been playing in a band for the last six weeks. We would like to record one our practices so we can truly get an idea about our sound and who needs to be louder, softer, more treble etc.

We practice in a garage/basement approx 12' x 16' that has some soundproofing that prevents echoing.

I have a MicroBR and I'm considering purchasing condenser mics so we can use my BR to record our practice. Does anybody have under $50 suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Rick

And by the way, compatible 1GB SD cards are available at Amazon for under $7.00 . Search MicroBR and follow additional links

peterp

Condenser mics need phantom power, so you would most likely also need to get a 48V phantom power supply for it. Or find one that can take batteries like the RĂ˜DE M3 (not inexpensive!).
Also many small mixers, usb sound interfaces (like my e-mu 404) and even the new BR800 that have XLR inputs have an option to provide phantom power if needed.

I did buy an inexpensive Apex 162 mini stereo condenser mic for my MicroBR.

Both products I linked to above are by Apex Electronics which seems to be flooding the stores I visit most often of late. Apex is a Chinese brand being pushed by Yorkville Sound in Canada, they are not bad, not great but not bad and the price is low.

This little Apex 162 stereo mic needs micro phantom power of 1.5V that the MicroBR can provide, it has a feature where it can send 2.5V to the mic if you turn it on. I think the feature is called Plug-in Power.
I have not gotten around to actually trying to use this little mic yet, so no idea how well it performs.
Or how long the batteries last if this featrue is turned on.

Also the built-in mic in the MicroBR is actually pretty good!

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Quote from: - Newton Minow, head of FCC 1961"Television, America's vast wasteland"