Recording and Production tips

Started by Geir, November 01, 2010, 08:21:36 AM

TPB

Thanks Frank for the fine explanation what,you are describing is called the Haas effect for us simple minded folks there are plugin to use to do this delay trick I had a plug in when I worked in cake walk that worked quite nice two button one had the the ms on it to widen or narrow the pan
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

Frank53

Thanks for the info, Tim. I didn't know it had a name. Just reading about it.
There are only three kinds of drummers. Those who can count, and those who can't.

T.C. Elliott

Wait. There's a plugin for that? *blink* You would think a lazy arse like myself would have found that by now.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

StephenM

wow, this thread is loaded with great stuff and I have learned alot of things to try and work out in mixing... I have a great ear for mixing but I don't have a lot of technical knowledge so what my ears tell me is wrong I don't always know how to fix...I would point out though that you could get 10 people to mix a song and you will pretty much get 10 different mixes and lets face it some people are just better at it than others... I suppose that one way I kind of "judge" a band, if I might use that term, is do they sound live anything like their recordings?  Some bands to me are way better live than in the studio and that is likely a disconnect in the way the producer sees the bands music as to what the band actually is....I do agree though there is a "right way" to engineer recordings and then there is the producer and that is quite a bit different...once again just observations about music in my 61 years of being a devout follower of music, mostly 60s-90s pop and rock music....
I tell you what though...this thread gives me alot to think about...and try...so thanks!

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Flash Harry

This is not the first time a link to this document has been posted here, I think Ferryman turned me onto this.

It's really worth a read, it's very approachable and there's some good information in it.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachments/so-much-gear-so-little-time/693506d1505887264-how-take-home-recording-next-level-pro-quality-yep_betterrecordings_09.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwirvoyZ88rrAhXJi1wKHbjqB00QFjACegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw0RoiNMm5gdC-dKXiTTzFks

This isn't the only source, some boards have the same content, this is a handy PDF
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

AndyR

Ah! I was looking for that the other day, couldn't find my copy... and couldn't remember his name.

Cheers for that! :)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Frank53

When I first heard this, I wondered how they did it. Then I read the procedure. It's quite simple really.
When the vocals come in at 1:20 and 4:05, how is that effect accomplished? This is 1970, so there's no digital technology. It would be a little simpler today. Any guesses?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPS3VzBxMjs
There are only three kinds of drummers. Those who can count, and those who can't.

T.C. Elliott

Sounds like it was recorded backwards and then reversed to play forward but it works so well I'm not sure I could pull that off.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

64Guitars

Record the vocals normally, then reverse the track and play it back through a reverb. Then reverse the track again so that the vocals are back to normal but the reverb tail comes before each word instead of after.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

AndyR

Sounds like backwards reverb on the vocals to me.

EDIT: Aha! 64 heard the same as me... (I had to welcome Mrs R home while I was typing mine, but I'll leave it all here :))

Record the part forwards.
Reverse the tape and apply reverb (recording the result).
Reverse the result and mix in to the rest of the track.

There's a Black Sabbath track does it with delay instead of reverb... er.. er... one of my favourites... er??? oh yeah: Megalomania on Sabotage
That's really effective - but seems a little bit "common-place" as an effect now.

I love the reverse reverb thing, trying to think of other examples, I've got several but I can't recall. You can do it on vocals, keys, the entire band.

I used it on one of my earlier home recordings (it's quite easy to do in a DAW, I couldn't do it on a BR1600 without exporting and reimporting): https://alonetone.com/andyr/tracks/dandelion-boy
On that recording, the raw stuff I recorded was just "band in on Eb, vocals start with The yellow daggers..."
During "nutty-professor production", I took the mix, reversed it, stuck a MASSIVE reverb on the opening notes/chord. I then reversed the recorded reverb tail and stuck it on the front.
And THEN, when reviewing the backing vox in the outro I thought they'd make a really good intro in front of that  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Listening to Alucard again (been listening to it a lot recently, bought all their stuff in March or so), I have a feeling it might be more than just the backwards reverb on the vocal. I think TC might be right, some of the backing could be recorded backwards too. But I'm almost certain most of it is reverse reverb.

recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1