MYSELF to BLAME - Hardlock original

Started by hardlock, October 31, 2010, 05:16:44 PM

lg

Great comparison Nigel!
I get the same feel from it....
Sounds like you've got your vocal mastered!
I wish I could the same....LOL

LG
nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!

Ted

Hardlock: I make a distinction between the quality of someone's voice and the quality of their delivery--and between the two, I value delivery most.  You've got great delivery in this song (and your vocal quality ain't half bad either).

I like the lyrics a lot too.

The drums and bass could be up in the mix, the bass in particular.  You might also audition some of the other kits in the MBR, and look for that reverb sweet spot. I'm never as dissatisfied with the MBR drums as others seem to be. I can usually do something that satisfies me.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

hardlock

Thanks everyone again for all the great comments and suggestions!  They really help me.

Jim, I used the MBR HipHop kit setting with the "Other 1" arrangement.  Actually only used a couple of the patterns from it however.  Longer?  Actually it started out a 3 minutes with only 1 lead break.  You know I couldn't have just 1 don't you.  ::)

Nigel, I think my BR-600 can take different samples also but haven't used it much.  It takes MIDI too so may try my MIDI pads with it next.  :P

Ted, interesting about the suggestion of the drums and bass not being loud enough.  Maybe it's my EQ but I was afraid they were too loud?  Guess I better try hearing the mix on more systems and settings.  Thanks again!
recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:
www.soundclick.com/kentone

My Collaborations:
www.soundclick.com/kenscollabs

Those things we take for granted - when we're young and immature - will surely return to haunt us when we're old and insecure

Speed Demon

Nice work, Ken!
After listening to this one, I'm quitting playing guitar and taking up watching grass grow.
Everyone needs a quiet hobby.

Enjoyed the listen immensely.

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.

Tony W

Ken, This is stunning. I keep thinking back to a piece of work you posted in the collab section I believe, I wanted to try to throw a little lead on it, and asked you the chords. The response was..... I don't know, I play by ear mostly. Personally I'm floored that you can produce amazing music like that. I'm a theory nut. I need it, have to have it. You on the other hand are a musician. This is fantastic. I love the vocal delivery. Ted hit the nail on the head there.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

holdempok

This is incredible. Your musical talent has been one of the best on here. I would love to collab someday.
Why don't we do it on the road?

SwanSong

HI Hardlock
What a nice sound. almost a satana type sound. great vox.
really easy peice to get into . enjoyed a bunch NEIL!

Geir

Funkeeeeyyyy !!!

Yeah I love it !!! Fab guitar playing and the vocals are perfect for the tune !! You play one mean guitar for being a drummer !!! Really tasty guitarplaying.

I don't have anything to critisie about this one either. I think I maybe would have used the jazz kit for a song like this, with some extra reverb, but that's me, I love the balance between the different drums/cymbals in the jazz kit.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Speed Demon

Nice composition, Ken. Delightful guitar work. Only thing that would make it better is to bring the volume up on the vocal. Your voice is too low in the mix. You have a good voice for recording. Has timber, resonance. Let it stand out.

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.

stoman

Great work! Not a lot to criticize from my side either, but since you asked for it:

The drums do sound a little robotic. A remedy might be to try and randomize the volume levels of the snare hits slightly. And don't quantize too much! If you did not play the drums live on the keyboard, try to "humanize" them by dragging some parts slightly ahead of or behind the beat.

The reverb on the vocal track may need some more work. It sounds as if the vocals don't quite belong to the music.

The overall volume of the drums is ok IMO. The bass might be brought up a tad. You could also try and boost the area round 1-4 kHz by about 3 dB (or even more), to sharpen the string sound of the bass.

The drums seem a little dry, but I haven't listened with head phones yet (will do so later). Maybe try and carefully add some additional reverb to the snare (not longer than 600 ms but with a room size a little larger than on the rest of the drums). You can also try that on the toms.

All minor things though. The song works quite well as is IMO.

Regards,
  Steffen