Phil Keaggy (unbelievably good guitarist)

Started by Blooby, October 26, 2010, 03:26:47 PM

Blooby

Phil Keaggy is one of the best musicians I have ever heard. He's a Beatles nut, so he certainly knows what makes a concise tune, and yet he was in Glass Harp, an archetypal rock and roll jamband, so he knows how to improvise. He's also one of the few guitarists who have distinct electric and acoustic styles (Steve Howe, Eric Johnson, and Jack Pearson also spring to mind).

His music has evolved into being categorized as mostly Christian these days (FYI, I'm a heretic). If you Youtube him, you will also see he was looping before there were loopers. He has it down to a bit of a science.

Noodling on a Moog Guitar

Playing a Gorgeous Acoustic Solo Piece

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTsHn9a9u1c

Looping

Shredding

Geir

What a fantastic artist !!!!

That loop performance was amazing ...
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Bluesberry

I am in awe.  Watching a master like this reminds me why, if I had any choice in the matter, I would gladly spend 8-10 hours every day playing my guitar.  Why can't I?  Its unfair that I can't, damn it.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Blooby

Got to cross somebody off my short list of artists (who are still alive) I'd like to see perform.  Went on a solo road trip to see Phil Keaggy in a tiny church in Fort Walton Beach, FL.  Admission was a bag of non-perishable food items. He is quite simply one of the most musical people I've ever seen.  He used his loop pedals to great effect for both vocals and his acoustic.  Instead of setting up overt loops (most of the time anyway), he would sneak them in and out, sometimes harmonizing melody lines or chord stacking.  His soloing seemed effortless, his singing was great (quite Beatle-like in spots), and he was funny as heck.  Not too shabby for a 60 year-old.  My only beef was the "hit-you-over-the-head-with-Christianity" slant to the entire evening.  I wasn't uncomfortable and certainly not offended, but let's just say I'm glad I didn't burst into flames.  If you want something a tad less religious, he has instrumental albums as well.  His early pre-Christian band Glass Harp was a rocking group that jammed up a storm.  The Live at Carnegie album was quite the listen.

If you have a chance to go on a solo road trip to clear out the cobwebs, do it!

Blooby

While this doesn't show off his virtuosity, the looping in the video below gets interesting at about the 3:30 mark.

OsCKilO

I’m not even going to attempt to comment on this awesomeness.........
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Blooby

Finally found a couple videos that I think conveys how beautiful his playing can be.  Both are instrumentals.

Satchwood

Wow the dude can play,,, i saw him once when i was a kid,,, got stoned with a bunch of youth group friends and drove down to the show,, what a rush !!
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

Facemask93

I have seen the light , oh my , true believers , what a voice , and can that man play
Blooby i cannot thank you enough for leading me to this man , wow

Rob

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

"All along the ancient wastes the thin reflections spin,
that gather all the times and tides at once we love within."
 - Roy Harper

Blooby

Found an hour long special on him if anybody wishes to see a master at work. It's informal interview and acoustic performance with plenty of looping.

Link is here: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/19130299

Blooby

Blooby

Caught Phil in a very small venue in Jacksonville, FL.  Just unbelievable.  One of the best musicians I've ever seen.  He played my favorite tune to boot.