I'm Gonna Write a Song (Someday)

Started by Farmjazz, October 25, 2010, 03:09:01 PM

Farmjazz

ComedyFest (banner image missing)

This is a goofy song I wrote to illustrate to a student that you can write a song about anything - even writing a song. When the Novelty Fest got announced, I thought it would be a perfect fit for this one. I intentionally used a toy Oscar Schmidt guitar to give it a schmaltzy sound. The vocal style (hopefully) is a nod to one of my favorite song writers, David Frishberg.

I'm Gonna Write a Song (Someday)

I'm gonna write a song someday.
It'll be about something I wish to say.
You will be so proud of me when I stand and play
That song I'm gonna write someday.

It will be profound, I guarantee.
You'll be so surprised it came from me.
And you'll nearly shed a tear when I stand and play
That song I'm gonna write someday.

And every time you hear that rhyme
you'll think of me, and then
all the crowd will say out loud,
"Please play that song again!"

I'm gonna write a song someday.
I can't wait to pen that final say.
It'll score a hit, for sure, when I stand and play
that song I'm gonna write someday. 

64Guitars

Excellent. I love the guitar playing and the "trombone" solo. Reminds me of something from the 1930s or 1940s (I think). I could imagine Leon Redbone doing this.

Could you post the lyrics, please?

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Gu Djin

Excellent - A hero of mine, sadly not heard as much of as I think he deserves - would have had fun with this.  Joe Brown.

Fun song, well played.  Familiar - yet fresh.  Nice

Leigh
Guild Starfire 5, Fender Telecaster, Fender Stratocaster, K Yairi and Walden and a 12 Stagg string acoustic guitar and other music making boxes - including mandolin, bouzouki and 5 string banjo, uke and acoustic bass - a few M-Audio keyboards and a flute - all played and treated with equal love and attention - zoom ut 2 pedal and Logic Pro X

stoman

Wow, this is the best song I have heard here until now. And there have been a couple of really wonderful songs that I keep playing again and again - but this one beats them all IMO.

Ten out of ten points. Where can I buy your music? :)

Regards,
  Steffen

Geir

EXCELLENT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really a great song and perfect performance !!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

AndyR

WOW.

I kinda feel the same as Steffen - there's some stunning stuff on this site, but this is possibly the best song I've heard. I feel a bit daft typing it (what's "the best"? etc) but that's how I felt while I was listening, and he's typed it already... so what the hell! :D

It'll always need a decent performance to make it shine, but it's got that here, no problem.

Super. :)

By the way, did the student show any signs of getting the idea?
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Tangled Wires

This is insanely good, and you may have described it as goofy, but it has so much quality to it. Have to agree with the previous comments...one of the best I have heard recently too.

Genius!!

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bluesberry

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Farmjazz

Quote from: AndyR on October 26, 2010, 12:01:55 PMBy the way, did the student show any signs of getting the idea?

Oh, yes. He's doing quite well in his songwriting, but he struggles with fleshing out an initial good idea. He's a very good lyricist. He should be; he's a psychologist/counselor in town.

Anyway, this assignment was to use only the harmonized C major scale to construct a song. I wrote this one as an example.