Baby Has A Good Time Anyway - AndyR Original

Started by AndyR, October 22, 2010, 01:28:13 PM

Donna D

What an excellent production all round! Great job, AndyR.  :)
I really enjoyed the vocals.

Donna
Honour the earth. Without it, we'd be nowhere.

Life is too important to take seriously.

stoman

Andy, do you have a gun license for that voice?!

Awesome vocals.

Regards,
  Steffen

lg

Your best vox to date I think.....
This makes me think of Jack Bruces 'Songs For A Tailor'....
Piepod for repeated listens.....
Bravo!

LG
nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!

Bluesberry

Quote from: lg on October 23, 2010, 07:31:34 AMThis makes me think of Jack Bruces 'Songs For A Tailor'....
Nice comparison lg, I see what you mean.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

cuthbert

Whoa, that's a belter Andy, and a strong, well-defined Seventies vibe all around. Great listen!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

AndyR

Thanks folks :)

Yep, I'm quite pleased with this vocal - I think it probably is the best I've managed to capture so far. The logistics of recording it seem to be getting easier and less hassle each time I do it, which leaves more of me to concentrate on just singing!

I'll have to search out this "Songs for a Tailor" - I've been compared to Jack Bruce before. In fact, years ago, one of our crew was convinced we should cover White Room - and the guitar chords under this thing have the same kind of rhythm.

Neil - are you sure it's BTO? You might be right, I assume we're talking about the outro here, but I was convinced it was Bad Company! :D. I can't quite pinpoint which song it is, so it might be BTO, but the big choir at the end started as a musical joke when I did one of the early lead vocal takes a few weeks back. I just started improvising over the out chords (where I was actually expecting to put a guitar solo instead), and I "felt like Paul Rogers" while I was singing it, so I went with it for a bit of a giggle. When I heard it back (it was only three acoustic guitars when I did the lead vocals and chorus backing vox), I could imagine this laid-back stoned choir going off into the distance that would kind of balance the slightly edgy nature of the lyrics. So once the other guitars and orchestration had appeared and the last chorus ended up so big it seemed even more obvious that's what we should do, so that's what I went for, forgetting that I was originally quoting something for a laugh. I only remembered when I was checking the mp3 for posting ::).

I'm not too worried though - it's just Ds and C9s and Gs going round and round... every country rocker plays that little progression sooner or later, and sooner or later we all end up singing the same notes over it! :D (Incidentally, when I was investigating guitars instead of the choir, another option was to play the harmonised guitar hooks from Sweet Home Alabama instead. I'm quite fond of them, and they fit perfectly, but plonking them there would kind of kill off whatever mood/impression the lyrics have left)

Unfortunately, I did the final choir in a bit of a rush yesterday afternoon to get it finished. It works, but it has a more regimented vibe to it than I intended. I might look into remixing it to get nearer to what the game-plan was - shouldn't need any more singing, or editing even, but the fade will probably be a bit longer because of it. Actually, listening to it now, just lengthening the fade would improve it anyway, there's not quite enough there at the moment to establish "dreamy repetitive" when you're listening (and there's about a minute's worth more of it on the multitrack! :D) - mebbe even see if we can get some tasteful (ie excessive) flanging going on as it fades...

On the other hand, that might just be late night over-tired rambling... and the better option might be to leave it as it is and get on with the other thing that's started instead if BB wants one a month :D

EDIT: Yep, just listened to it again - I'm leaving it as it is...
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Bluesberry

Just listened again, yup its perfect.  The outro choir is perfect the way it is IMO, just long enough, don't touch a thing.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Vanncad

Fantastic tune Andy.

You've got a great voice man.
The arrangement of this song is killer, and all of the instuments sound great too.

Definite clasic 70's feel to it!

I love it!
It ain't pretty being easy.

Okay to Cover

chapperz66

Brilliant.  I've been looking forward to a new song from you - and it was worth the wait.  Love it Andy!

Paul

AndyR

Well, I've resisted fiddling with it :o

I also had a listen to Jack Bruce's "Songs for a Tailor" on spotify while I was doing my ironing - very nice. It reminded me that I was doing a lot of listening to Procol Harum on there the other week - I suspect this might have had some effect :D

Meanwhile I've chucked it up on soundclick now with lyrics and a bit of background:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9791729
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on