Fear and Inadequacy in the Guitar Shop...

Started by Greeny, October 20, 2008, 04:54:39 AM

AndyR

^  Big plus to that Bob.

Nowadays I'm checking the guitar out - do the tuners work, any blemishes that will p1ss me off in a day or so when I notice them, definitely I try every single string every single fret (that never sounds musical :D) for buzzing or whatever...

Obviously I play it a bit as well - and I tend to play for longer if I'm falling in love with it (that's probably how they know I'm about to buy :D) - but my mind is in "checking out the geetar" mode, not playing mode.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Tony W

Interesting thread, and great timing.

4 months ago, I decided that if I were to get serious about playing, I'd need a suitable acoustic. The one I had was crap, thought I didn't know how bad it was at the time.

I picked 4 guitars that I was interested in, and played them all. I was awful, and knew it. I couldn't tell if a guitar sounded good or bad, so I grabbed on of the virtuosos in the shop, and asked him to play everything I picked out. I purchased my Ibanez based on how he played.

Today.... I happened to be in the neighborhood of a Guitar Center. I was looking for books - not guitars... An employee asked me if I were looking for anything in particular, I asked "do you have any Fender 60's Classics around" They had one. I looked 15 feet up the wall, and there it hung in all its glory. The thing was priced $300 (US) cheaper than I had seen online. My decision was made. I didn't buy a book.

Normally I wouldn't do this, but I asked for a cable, plugged into an amp, and let my 48 All Star training take over. Sure I missed a few notes, but fortunately I didn't hit any bum notes. My confidence started to grow when a few people stopped an listened. This was completely out of character for me. Normally I would have shirked into the background.

It was truly an enjoyable experience. I'm sure the other patrons probably thought I sucked, but they stopped and listened in lieu of running away.

I blame 48 for this impulse purchase by the way.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Flash Harry

I find it always helps to have someone else to blame when you've just bought another guitar. The number of times I've been held up at gunpoint and forced to buy a 12 stringer or a nice spruce topped acoustic isn't funny. The police can never find the mugger. 
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

I.am

This is a really good thread! I avoid trying out stuff too, but I'm kind of heartened to hear that so many others feel the same way. Why do we feel like that? Maybe - for me anyway - its an ego thing where I don't want to look stupid, but isn't that really stupid in and of itself? Perhaps the ego needs to be put aside. Buts its only with music stuff. I mean, if I'm trying out a new toaster, I'm hardly gonna get all gunshy about thrashing the overheat function - I don't actually try out toasters lol, but, you know what I mean?

The Reverend 48

Quote from: Tony W on July 20, 2009, 01:11:54 PMI blame 48 for this impulse purchase by the way.

Your more than Welcome...I take full responsibility for your excellent purchase ;D ;D

Tony W

Quote from: 48 on July 21, 2009, 05:53:21 AM
Quote from: Tony W on July 20, 2009, 01:11:54 PMI blame 48 for this impulse purchase by the way.
Your more than Welcome...I take full responsibility for your excellent purchase ;D ;D
Are we Bill and Ted now?

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

OsCKilO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIEr5aNWNgs

I wouldn't even try and play anything if these two were in there before me.....
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

OsCKilO

Quote from: Flash Harry on July 20, 2009, 01:39:42 PMThe police can never find the mugger. 

They look for the "mug" first..........

Usually it's me......
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

guitarron

Quote from: Flash Harry on July 20, 2009, 01:39:42 PMI find it always helps to have someone else to blame when you've just bought another guitar. The number of times I've been held up at gunpoint and forced to buy a 12 stringer or a nice spruce topped acoustic isn't funny. The police can never find the mugger. 
that guy has been spotted in the metro Detroit area-i've fallen victim
never seem to get a good look at him

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Saijinn Maas

Quote from: guitarron on July 21, 2009, 07:54:56 AM
Quote from: Flash Harry on July 20, 2009, 01:39:42 PMI find it always helps to have someone else to blame when you've just bought another guitar. The number of times I've been held up at gunpoint and forced to buy a 12 stringer or a nice spruce topped acoustic isn't funny. The police can never find the mugger. 
that guy has been spotted in the metro Detroit area-i've fallen victim
never seem to get a good look at him

That's funny... Because my wife has no problem scaring him away!  >:(
 ;)