Fear and Inadequacy in the Guitar Shop...

Started by Greeny, October 20, 2008, 04:54:39 AM

OsCKilO

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

SdC

yeah Greeny, very recognizable situation... you really need some power licks and confidence. I'm always reminded of the "no stairway to heaven" sign somehow...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng3tECDwYFQ

recorder
Boss BR-600

Flash Harry

I have a similar reaction to trying guitars out. It gets me when the record light comes on too. My fingers turn to clay and I feel a total incompetent fool. Mind you, some would say that I'm just performing true to form. :)
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

launched

Quote from: SdC on July 18, 2009, 05:45:37 AMI'm always reminded of the "no stairway to heaven" sign somehow...

I love that scene, Sander - Now I'll have to dig out the movie...

Let me lead up to the inadequacy part before I get to that:

I've owned two guitars in my life, one when I didn't play about 13 years ago, and the one I have now. Wish I could switch because the other one was a Hendrix Sunburst Strat with a whammy bar. A roller nut and special pickups. Never even plugged it in. A friend of mine needed $500 and I fully expected him to buy it back, because it was almost brand new. Ended up selling it for what he owed me. I didn't know...

Now I have an Epi GS400 early 90's Korean that I paid around 100 bucks for. Just felt I wasn't worthy of anything better... But now I really like it and might just change the electronics/pickups the next time I get froggy.

Now, the inadequacy part(And the fear):

When I go into a guitar shop I don't even know what strings to buy - I can barely change them without messing up. I ask for strings and the counter clerk with the pierced everything and neck tatoo will look back at the 150 different packages and say "What kind do you want". And I say "The ones that come with a guitar when you buy it new". The dust will get blown off a pack of Ernie Balls (Standard, I think??) and I'm off. I like those guys, they just get me what I need. So I get nervous even buying strings.

I have tried some guitars in the shop, but felt uncomfortable doing so - and never plugged in to an amp. I don't really know how to run the knobs anyway. I didn't play the guitar I have now in the store. I just asked a salesperson "What guitar would you buy if you didn't have a lot of money" He beelined for the Epi, and said "This one". That was a long time ago - It sat in the corner for a long time before I ever learned to play it.

Well, I digress...

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Bro

Never ever thought like that.

I used to have such problems, i think it roots in you self confidence as a player. When i first got my br, i HATED to hear myself play. It's just all about confidence i think, about appreciating the little things in you playing that you like. Than that will grow, and before you know of it you have accepted your way of playing. I'm not saying I'm 100% over yet, but it's defiantly something that most people have experienced, so don't worry. You should have equal service as Jimi Hendrix trying a guitar out, i think. Everybody should be equal no matter skill.

I say try a confidence boost, it oder help :)
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

SharksDontSleep

Quote from: oldrottenhead on July 18, 2009, 04:57:12 AMi couldn't bring myself to try it.
Why ... was the neck profile too wide?

I love trying guitars, but I'm no Hendrix.
My personal faves to strum away are:
  • Acoustic: Live Forever - Oasis
  • Electric: Jumping Jack Flash - Rolling Stones
  • Either: Karma Police - Radiohead
I don't do any of them with the finesse of the original, but it doesn't stop me twanging to my hearts content.
Yes ... I often feel inadequate, but by now I'm used to it!!

Let's Rock

SteveB

ALL - This is a very, very, big subject. There are some Music-Shop Assistants who are the BIGGEST ar*eholes in the World, because they can be. The 3-Guitar-Chord or Grade-2-Piano Ego has taken over and they love it. They wouldn't last more than a couple of Days/Weeks' on here, because they would be found out. These people forget that musically, we were ALL virgins once.
Alternatively, there are also Music-Shop Assistants who are like your favourite High School Teacher, those who will inspire in you a confidence to ask and learn, and imbue in you a life-long love of music. I know which I hope all the new-starters in music find on their first trip to the music shop.  ;)

Though there really is another side of the coin: Customers.
Anyone who has EVER worked in a shop/store will know that customers are the most stupid, arrogant, ignorant Beings ever to walk the Earth.
A story from a UK music shop (I'll use an American Pay-Off line that most of the World will understand): An elderly Guy comes into a music shop, which has a selection of drums, guitars, keyboards etc, etc dotted about the floor and hanging on the walls. He spends 20 minutes looking closely at the assorted musical finery, he then approaches the counter and asks the Assistant: 'Do you have any fan-belts for an 84 Chevvy?'
The dumbfounded Assistant replies 'No.' The Old Guy digests this answer for several seconds, and then says; 'Will you be getting any in?'
Don't be scared in Music Shops. Remember, you are paying Their wages!  :)
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

Ferryman

Lovely thread! I always feel a bit initimidated in music shops and I shouldn't admit it but I always practice a few things before I go in  :-[ Don't want to sound like a complete plank.

It does depend on the shop though. The Guitar Workshop in Reading is very good, the staff are always helpful and don't act superior. They also have a couple of soundprooof rooms so they leave you alone for as long as you want. Also had a very good experience in GAK in Brighton when we bought my son's bass, even though it is a massive place and very busy. The young guy in the bass centre was extremely helpful and didn't intimidiate my son, gave us good advice and a good deal. But we also went to various places in Charing Cross Road in London before that and there we were made to feel like pieces of dirt - I certainly felt initimidated. In those places you really want to be able to pick up a guitar and just show off. But instead we just slunk put, usually after being pointedly ignored.

So I guess as usual it's all about customer service. A good shop will make you feel comfortable.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

OsCKilO

Quote from: Ferryman on July 18, 2009, 02:49:01 PMBut we also went to various places in Charing Cross Road in London before that and there we were made to feel like pieces of dirt - I certainly felt initimidated.

I always find it a wonder that they sell anything!

When I got my Reso from Denmark street, the guy was brilliant!

That shop closed down, and the others treat me like I'm gonna run of with the guitar if they let me try it!

And no matter how good the tune you play on it is (I go for Classical Gas as it tests out the whole thing), they always turn their noses up!

I think it may be three parts Envy (as they may not earn enough to buy the guitar you are looking at) and one part Poor customer service.......

The Best store I have been to is :-

Harlow Store 
Unit 17 & 18 St James Centre
East Road
Harlow
Essex
CM20 2SX

Tel: 01279 432900

Customer service to die for, and a muscians attitude to selling a guitar.
All the right questions. No judgement!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

The Reverend 48

If I was Fit enough I'd go in to a shop ask for a guitar pull out my magic brick select one of Greenys blues and rip up a solo ....I bet that would cause mayhem hearing a full scale band coming out of the amp!