Fear and Inadequacy in the Guitar Shop...

Started by Greeny, October 20, 2008, 04:54:39 AM

Greeny

Inspired by someting that madrab said on the 'guitars that you want' thread, I thought this would be an interesting debating / discussion point...

Does anyone else feel like a total idiot when they're trying guitars out in a music shop? You know... when the assistant sits you down in the middle of a crowded shop and plugs you in to an amp. What riffs do you come up with to make you look a half-decent player?! All my riffs seem to desert me when I sit down and launch into some half-arsed blues. And then you always get the impression the shop assistants are sneering / laughing at you. Or is it just me?

And then there are the times when some guitar genius is showing off his virtuoso talents in a shop, and you feel totally inadequate.

The only time it all went fine for me was in Andertons in Guildford, because they stuck me in a sound-proof room, and I could do whatever I wanted without feeling self-conscious.

Am I alone in this fear????  ;D

Bluesberry

That is so funny.  I had the exact same experience last week.  I went to buy a new amp.  I ended up getting a Fender Blues Jr Texas Red.  Sweet amp by the way.  But yes, the guy plugs in my guitar and then looks at me expectantly.  I started out with some rather lame blues riffs.  And then this older gentleman comes over and watches me like I am some sort of headliner.  I couldn't tell if he was impressed or disappointed but I sure felt awkward.  Anyway the good news is that I bought the amp, and in the privacy of my dining room I can make that thing soar.  Why is it that all your licks desert you in a music store?

Jeff Tweedy (of WILCO) said that he feels very inadequate trying guitars in a music store for the same reason.  If Jeff Tweedy feels inadequate, then we are in good company.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

SteveG

Know what you mean :)

On the other hand, few years back went with the missus to get an entry level axe for one of my stepsons. Was served by a young teenager. He had trouble tuning the Pacifica he was trying to sell me so said "I will go get a tuner". I said "That's ok, I will do it", took if off him, tuned it and tried out a few riffs. Checked out the settings and found the neck pickup was not working....

By this point he was so embarrassed he got the owner to take over, who made it worse saying "Hiya Steve, how you getting on with that SG"?

Moral ... if you are a kid working in a shop and some old guy comes in saying he wants an instrument for his kid, dont get all snotty and assume that he cant play. Payback's a bitch....

Tangled Wires

I tend just to play a few scales and chords, rather than anything anybody may know. I have seen some people try to play famous riffs in the shop and get it all wrong.

Always play you own stuff as that way, baring any complete bum notes, nobody will know if what you are playing is right or wrong.

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Farmjazz

I unexpectedly purchased an acoustic guitar yesterday as I was in a local guitar shop for something else. I saw a Breedlove hanging on the wall and took it down to try it out - and I loved it. I've never had an OM before, especially with the wide fingerstyle neck. Very nice voice, action, sustain, but when I heard the price I immediately said, "I'll take it." A solid spruce-top Breedlove for under $500! It's their Passport series guitars. Check it out if you need a well-made bargain fingerstyle guitar. I'll also be using it to teach my wife guitar.

Anyway, the reason for this post is my take on playing guitars in a guitar shop. In my mind, I'm the customer. I'm trying out guitars, mandolins, basses, conga drums, whatever, to make a purchase at their store. It's not a performance. What I'm shopping for will determine how I play, (try out) an instrument. Sometimes, I'll play two notes on a guitar and put it back on the wall. That Breedlove took me by surprise and I just kept playing it. Before long, I retuned it to a couple of alternate tunings - to see if a low D or C would have any presence on a smaller guitar - and tried a couple of passages that I've been having trouble with on my dreadnought. It passed with flying colors and I looked up and a few people had gathered around. Whatever. If some young electric guitar student, (there were many around just then), got inspired to look into acoustic guitar, great! But I'm there testing out a potential purchase, that's all. I don't want to get home and regret making a purchase because I didn't investigate it well enough.

I guess if you go into a guitar shop to just hang around and swap licks your ego is bound to get involved. I typically go into a guitar shop with a plan, but yesterday my plan changed after playing that Breedlove. That's cool. The owner threw into the purchase the items I went in for in the first place. Thanks, Bernie!

Also, as a side note - I gave one of the salesman a mini lesson on the MICRO BR while I was there. He's a great guy, but hasn't had the time to learn the ins and outs of the unit. He had many mis-conceptions about it that I cleared up. He suggested maybe I come down and give MICRO BR workshops. Hey, maybe another side gig, who knows?     

Greeny

I only ever try a guitar when I'm definitely on the verge of buying it. Sometimes I'll have a short-list, but usually I know exactly what it is I'm after, and what the price is first.

But then you get taken by surprise. I went in for an Ibanez Artcore Semi once and came out with a Takamine 12-string acoustic. Love at first strum!!!!  :)

That's brilliant about the BR workshops! Keep spreading the faith!  :)

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

OsCKilO

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

OsCKilO

meets.......

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

guitarron

would you want to be a "member" of that band?

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand