Can you read sheet music?

Started by Vanncad, October 13, 2010, 05:40:45 PM

Tony W

Quote from: Geir on October 15, 2010, 03:43:14 AMThe ZappaFest and BeatlesFest has tought me to trust my ear more than the tabs, and I have become better in listening to various parts of the music by it.
My gut reaction was that you gave me tab to follow for my zappafest parts, then I realized, you told what notes (by letter) needed to be played. Simply awesome, even if you play it on a saxophone :)

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Facemask93

I taught myself to play guitar in the days of no tab , just going to the Perfoming Arts Library and finding the odd book that had something of interest to me , it was finding a hidden gem  Fingerpicking Beatles by Eric Schoenberg that really got me going , then a massive find , Stefan Grossman Fingerpiking Blues , i can generally play by ear now , but i love Tab

Rob

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

"All along the ancient wastes the thin reflections spin,
that gather all the times and tides at once we love within."
 - Roy Harper

lectric

In the band "Stone Temple Pilots" only Eric Kretz the drummer can read music.  Its likley true most "rock stars" cannot read music.
Dance as if no one were watching.
Sing as if no one were listening.
And live every day as if it were your last.
- Irish proverb

Balleo

It's an hard and long speech and don't risk to do in english  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I think that I studied no more of 5 songs on sheet music so I read very bad.. but in my life never ask me to play a sheet music
usually give me a CD full of songs and said me " next week"  ;)

recorder
iPad GarageBand
recorder
 Reaper
recorder
Audacity
My Youtube Facebook

OsCKilO

Quote from: Balleo on October 15, 2010, 04:22:14 PMusually give me a CD full of songs and said me " next week"  ;)

That is Tallent!!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Oldrottenhead

music is an alien language to me whether it is written or talked about. in norway geir, mike and tharek talked in chords to each other i hadn't a clue what they where talking about but when they played i fully understood their language, it spoke to me as soon as the notes where struck.
i play by ear and instinct and like dasilvasing said "Music enters into my head through psycho-magnetic cosmic beams"
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

OsCKilO

Quote from: oldrottenhead on October 16, 2010, 06:40:06 AMin norway geir, mike and tharek talked in chords to each other

Lol!!

All I did was show them the shape and say "That one, that one, and that one...."...

They knew exactly what to do!

Remember "Sing to the City"..?

Mike had to make sense of the mess I made with the Timing and stuff...

Those are real musicians my friend!
Great Time!

Made me look at Timings more myself!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Oldrottenhead

Timing? whit in the name o the wee man izzat?
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Flash Harry

I was taught flute (1 staff), Piano, (2 staves), organ (3 staves) and some ochestral music (as many staves as there are sections to the orchestra) and kicked round the room to improve my sightreading. I can taste written music.....

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

musicsongwriter

I can read music and play by ear, I like both ways :)
Nadia