Can you read sheet music?

Started by Vanncad, October 13, 2010, 05:40:45 PM

Vanncad

I thought it might be interesting to see how many people on this site can actually read music.
(NOTE: This was inspired by lectric's tattoo challenge, and some conversations I have had with other members on the site)

I find it truly amazing that some people can look at notes on a page and hear the song in their head.

I had this discussion with my daughter's piano teacher, and she is equally amazed by people that play only by ear.

Everyone can vote for the two options that fit them best.

I am curious to see the results.

It ain't pretty being easy.

Okay to Cover

Geir

only two :(  I need at least four !! ;D ;D
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

OsCKilO

I thought "Sheet Music" was something me and the 'ole lady made on Saturday nights...

And I dont remember how to do that....

No musical knowledge here bro...

I wish I did.....

Even Tab is too much for me...

But I'm Dyslexic, so that might explain why I cant...
Or read my own lyrics on stage sometimes...

I need to feel the tune...  or it is gone....

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

cuthbert

I cannot read music. Well I can a bit, but I have to read it note by note, and then figure out where that note may be on my guitar (of course on keyboard, this is easier although not always easy). Seems every time I sit and try to learn to transcribe the notes on the page to sounds coming out of an instrument, I fumble or get bored. Tabs I can read (and play mostly), but generally I prefer to play everything by ear.

I'm more interested in reading about music theory - rhythm, chord, melody, harmony - than actually reading music, but I also find theory can be dry. I generally only read up when I want to learn something new, and not usually for the love of the subject (although some of it can be very interesting).
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

T.C. Elliott

I can read it just fine, if the title isn't in small print. My eyes are failing in my older age.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

lectric

Ditto what Cuthbert said.....Ted
Dance as if no one were watching.
Sing as if no one were listening.
And live every day as if it were your last.
- Irish proverb

Satchwood

Hmmm, 2's not enough for me either.  

I can read sheet music, and have been trained to read music in my earlier days.... piano.   And then i took guitar lessons, and had to relearn the bass & treble clef, to a more suitable "in-between" clef.    

But, i do prefer to read tablature for guitar and chords for piano, and play by ear "most of the time"...  

Sheet music, can sometimes help me to "get it right",  but i really enjoy playing by ear the most, and then reading some tab for solo correctness.

www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

64Guitars

I tried to play by ear once but the results were disappointing. So now I use a plectrum.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

chapperz66

I was taught to read music when I was at school.  I played trumpet, cornet and soprano cornet in the school brass band!  Rock and Roll eh!  I actually got to be quite good - and then I heard Ritchie Blackmore on "In Rock" and decided that my aspirations lay elsewhere.  I gave up brass and started posing by ear instead.

I taught myself guitar and piano but I think it would have been a lot more difficult if I hadn't had an element of proper taught musical theory.  I still read on occaisions, particularly scale manuals and things like that - what a sad man I am!  To be good at reading though - you really have to do it a lot, and I don't.

I have found that most people are either good readers OR good ear players. My daughter is a far better pianist than I am, but is lost without some music in front of her.  She can't understand how I can "make it up as I go along."

Paul

Gu Djin

I can read music and I do get an idea of the music in my head, but I can't "sight read" and play directly from it.  I never had formal music training, (you can tell that if you listen to my stuff.

But mostly I play by ear and mood.  I have also delved into middle eastern, north african and some indian(asia) music, not to play, but I enjoy the differences and the fact that you have to suspend your expectation.  I love the variation in the scales and the use of half, quarter and thirds of notes in them.  Very difficult to write that stuff on western manuscript staves - so by ear's what I hear and by ear's how I play.

Ramble over.

Leigh
Guild Starfire 5, Fender Telecaster, Fender Stratocaster, K Yairi and Walden and a 12 Stagg string acoustic guitar and other music making boxes - including mandolin, bouzouki and 5 string banjo, uke and acoustic bass - a few M-Audio keyboards and a flute - all played and treated with equal love and attention - zoom ut 2 pedal and Logic Pro X