Stratocaster or telecaster copy?

Started by tom r, October 12, 2010, 11:40:47 AM

tom r

Hi Andy
yes Baja :-) I am moving toward a Tele. I have had copies of both in the past but never had them at the same time. i probably need to strum both and see what so8nds best BUT... I love the look and feel of the Tele.

Tom
Tom Reeves
Lobelia Sound

AndyR

It's sounds like you really want a tele then :)

By the way, when I bought my Baja, I didn't realise it was named after "Baja, California" (or wherever it is!). I went in the shop and said "I'd like to try the Badga" - the b@stards all fell around laughing saying "ere, this bloke wants to try the badger"
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

tom r

Nice one Andy :-) i only sussed out the pronunciation from seeing something on youtube. so i wouyld have probably done the same thing

Tom
Tom Reeves
Lobelia Sound

guitarron

Quote from: Vanncad on October 16, 2010, 11:35:01 AMThis is my Eddie VH-esque, punk-rock tele circa 1980-ish

AKA - the "STP" special.

My uncle's friend gave it to me back in the 80's and I tried to strip it, and paint it black.
It didn't work out too good, so I pretty much Frankensteined it.
It's actually a decent sounding guitar, and it has been the last guitar standing at the end of more than one bar gig.

Somebody gave me a humbucker so I removed the single-coils (not "cool" enough)
My buddy made a new bridge for me out of a stop sign.
I added a sticker to the head-stock to change Lero to "Leroy".
People from the Detroit area will recognize the WLLZ sticker (that should give you some idea of how long ago I made it)
Got the anti-drug sticker from a benefit my band played at. This was during the "Tipper Gore" era.

It's a mess, but I thought you guys might get a kick out of it.

Wheelz-FM
What a freakin blast from the past
That is an f'n character guitar-"insert pickup here"LOL

i have an old MIJ(1987) strat i'v got to post -it's a rough one too

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

guitarron

Back to the OT

they both have their respective points-personally from a versatility point of view, i feel a strat offers more options sonically-unless you need a fixed bridge -then a tele is the way to go

cant go wrong either way

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Glenn Mitchell

To my ears the tele is a country guitar, the strat covers everything else.
Lol
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

Blooby

Quote from: M_Glenn_M on October 28, 2010, 09:40:55 PMTo my ears the tele is a country guitar, the strat covers everything else.
Lol

I would agree, but then I think not to Steve Cropper, Pat Travers, Andy Summers, Keith Richards, Jeff Beck, Albert Collins, and Jimmy Page.

Most of the early Zeppelin (including the "Stairway" solo) were cut on a Tele.

I love the sound of positions 2 and 4 on a Strat (and own one), but I would get rid of it before my Tele.

Blooby

SdC

Quote from: M_Glenn_M on October 28, 2010, 09:40:55 PMTo my ears the tele is a country guitar, the strat covers everything else.
Lol

What a strange but intrigueing statement.
It seems to be based on the single historic fact that in the late 50's early 60's the Tele was widely adopted by Country artists. Therefore the Tele tone is predominant in that style in that era.
Apparently, this has conditioned your hearing to automatically associate that tone with that style.

Since I don't really listen to (what I suspect you consider to be) country music that much, I don't have that association with Tele's. 
To me, your statement is like saying "PRS guitars are for Latino Rock", because Santana made the brand famous.

recorder
Boss BR-600

AndyR

:D - Glenn did say to his ears though :D

It's weird, I kinda think the same thing most of the time (tele = country). BUT, actually, when I play, I do find my teles much raunchier than my strats. If I want to play "country" I do reach for the teles instead of anything else, but most of the time when I play a tele I'm doing Rolling Stones, Faces, Black Crowes kind of boogie/blues stuff. I do have one tele that is the guitar to reach for if I need a pop, especially 60s, vibe. Otherwise all my go-to guitars for general use are strats.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Tony W

Quote from: SdC on October 29, 2010, 07:58:36 AMTo me, your statement is like saying "PRS guitars are for Latino Rock", because Santana made the brand famous.

Why else have a PRS?

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR