Stratocaster or telecaster copy?

Started by tom r, October 12, 2010, 11:40:47 AM

tom r

I never even considered Danelectro but had a quick look and they look good can't say ive ever heard one? Nick or others have you played / heard one?

Tom
Tom Reeves
Lobelia Sound

Kenneth

I believe if you need to do a truss rod adjustment on those Dano's you have to take the neck right  off.
"...a guitar sound that you could curdle cream with." Ferryman

tom r

Looked at several fender teles today from £385 to £1500. Very nice

T
Tom Reeves
Lobelia Sound

tom r

Anyone played a squier classic vibe tele?

T
Tom Reeves
Lobelia Sound

Bluesberry

I have a strat and a Tele, both fender models.  I am not sure which is my favorite.  I find I play my strat more, and there is a certain kind of tone that i can get with the strat that I really love.  But equally, the Tele is so much fun to play and has its own charm that I wouldn't want to do without, crisp and clear yet with power.  The Tele can get much grungier than the strat, dirty blues and power chords and all that.  Its a hard one, which is better.  The strat is probably more versatile, but there is something about a Tele that is very appealing.  I solved the problem by getting one of each I guess.  The squire classic Tele seems to be very nice, I tried them out at the store.  I ended up with the Fender, but the Squire seemed pretty good too.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Vanncad

This is my Eddie VH-esque, punk-rock tele circa 1980-ish

AKA - the "STP" special.

My uncle's friend gave it to me back in the 80's and I tried to strip it, and paint it black.
It didn't work out too good, so I pretty much Frankensteined it.
It's actually a decent sounding guitar, and it has been the last guitar standing at the end of more than one bar gig.

Somebody gave me a humbucker so I removed the single-coils (not "cool" enough)
My buddy made a new bridge for me out of a stop sign.
I added a sticker to the head-stock to change Lero to "Leroy".
People from the Detroit area will recognize the WLLZ sticker (that should give you some idea of how long ago I made it)
Got the anti-drug sticker from a benefit my band played at. This was during the "Tipper Gore" era.

It's a mess, but I thought you guys might get a kick out of it.

It ain't pretty being easy.

Okay to Cover

madrab

That was one cool guitar!  I like guitars with stories.
Do you still play it, does it sound ok?

SdC

I always go back to my '87 Squier strat. I want to buy a new American Standard Sienna Sunburst with maple neck. But I cannot really justify it when this one is still in good working order, with the added bonus of the GK-2 pickup. It's just so versatile.
The bridge pickup is Seymour Duncan hot rails (the big '95 overhaul), switchable to single, single+single and humbuck. Graphite saddles.
I built the GK-2 into the body in '09 because I got fed up with the bulky GK-2 controller and various cables making my strat look like it was on life support, and fit in the case again to take to gigs. Gave the body a matte plastic-look paint job.
I'm thinking for the next overhaul I'm going to add a piezo pickup under the bridge (fishman VMV powerbridge+powerchip). Hopefully I can draw the power for that from the GK-2 controller.

It's been all over Europe and America with me.

recorder
Boss BR-600

tom r

Hi i've had the offer of a mint condition Fender Telecaster Baga for £300. Is that a good deal and has anyone played one? I might go and check it out

Tom
Tom Reeves
Lobelia Sound

AndyR

It's "Baja", Tom, pronounced "Baha".

Yes they're good, I love mine, and £300 for a mint condition one sounds fair. You can get them new for between £450 and £500.

It's not a strat though :D

I'd look at the Squier Classic Vibe series. You should be able to pick up brand new for sub £250, both tele and strat.

The 59 Danos are quite nice. I got mine new for £160 a couple of years ago (the link above is to that model, but I think they're discontinued). They've come back with better controls but at least £100 more. I actually want those controls on mine, and I haven't got round to tracking some down. BUT - they really aren't a strat or tele! :D. They are very versatile and seem to be coming back into fashion, though.

You can get some extremely groovy 60s tones out of them. I got one because Rory Gallagher used one. Possibly more famously, Jimmy Page used one for a variety of things (including Kashmir and In My Time Of Dying).

If you want a strat though... you want a strat... don't be distracted! :D

EDIT: It seems you're moving towards teles though... hmmm. Teles are a superb workhorse. Strats and teles cover a lot of the same territory, but I'd say that strats cover more "unique" ground, and you'll prefer the feel/look of one body over the other.

Try the Squier CVs - I haven't bought any because the necks are slimmer than I've got used to (I like fat necks), but they are stunning guitars, well put together, and incredibly cheap for what they are.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1