Stratocaster or telecaster copy?

Started by tom r, October 12, 2010, 11:40:47 AM

Vanncad

I would say if you can afford a little more, go with a Mexican or better yet a Japanese Fender. Not sure what they go for over there, but you could get a used Mexican strat here in Canada pretty cheap.

Craigslist or your local classifieds is your best bet.

It ain't pretty being easy.

Okay to Cover

Kevin Mammoth

Quote from: Geir on October 12, 2010, 01:06:40 PMI want a strat too, but I'm not quite sure why !!!

I've been having that feeling lately - they seem to have such a versatile range  - although I've been thinking SSS, as I've always had humbuckers and I'm growing curious about the world of single coils...
recorder
Boss BR-1600

There are only 12 notes, how hard can it be?....

tom r

Yes I've got a les Paul and just want something different. Vanncad are you talking squire or fender and how cheap?

Tom
Tom Reeves
Lobelia Sound

SE

Hi Tom I use a Squire Tele custom and have done for the past  two years and have been very happy with it, I find it extremely versatile, have just checked the shop I use in Glasgow and it,s just over £ 200
recorder
Boss BR-80

ODH

Quote from: Geir on October 12, 2010, 01:06:40 PMI want a strat too, but I'm not quite sure why !!

Don't sell your soul!  Go Tele!
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

Vanncad

Hey Tom - Used Mexican Strats here routinely go between $300 and $400 Canadian (roughly $200-$250 GBP). They are pretty decent guitars. One main difference is that the bodies are made from multiple pieces of wood glued together, and the electronics will be cheap. You can put original Fender parts in them and you will have a good guitar for half the price.

I got a near new Japanese Strat with a hardshell case for $500 through my local classifieds. There's a lot of deals out there. Especially with this bad economy.

I played a Washburn 80's style guitar (Floyd Rose, etc.) for all my bar-band years. I bought a Japanese Strat and a Japanese Epiphone Les Paul from a guy a couple years ago and they definitely rejuvenated my desire to play. Very good guitars for the money.

Definitely buy what you can afford (and more importantly - what you like), but remember a decent guitar will pay you back with good music for many years to come.

Good luck with the hunt!

P.S - I think the 80's Fender "Squiers" are supposed to be really good guitars as well.
It ain't pretty being easy.

Okay to Cover

Gu Djin

My MiM TeleCaster is one of the best guitars I've played, but I've tried others that haven't been so good so it's a try and try before you buy, I would say.  However your question was about , which a Tele, or a Strat style.  If you don't love Tele's, you wouldn't need to ask the question.  they do have their quirks and people either love them, or hate them.  So go for a Strat, make sure it feels and sounds right.  They are so versatile.  Why haven't I got a Strat.  I fell in love with my Telecaster and I have a guitar limiter sitting opposite me, so it was one, or the other.

Check out Jim Campilongo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBjINK9vUjM
Guild Starfire 5, Fender Telecaster, Fender Stratocaster, K Yairi and Walden and a 12 Stagg string acoustic guitar and other music making boxes - including mandolin, bouzouki and 5 string banjo, uke and acoustic bass - a few M-Audio keyboards and a flute - all played and treated with equal love and attention - zoom ut 2 pedal and Logic Pro X

tom r

Your right Nick I DO want a tele. Just after getting my first strat copy I got a really old battered tele copy. It never stayed in tune sounded shit but looked great!!

T
Tom Reeves
Lobelia Sound

tom r

Hi vanncad and gu djin thanks for the replies I will get out there and strumm a few guitars.   I do really want a tele they look great and sound just right for me. My wife might just kill me if I splashed out on a Fender!

Tom
Tom Reeves
Lobelia Sound

ODH

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/danelectro-dc59-electric-guitar-black--44974

Haven't played one, but I these Danelectro guitars get great reviews for sub £200.  I was very close to getting one on the spur of the moment a couple of months back.  I'd just got over it, too...
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter