Stratocaster or telecaster copy?

Started by tom r, October 12, 2010, 11:40:47 AM

tom r

Hi guys I loaned out a very old (30) strat copy some time ago and it has not returned!
I'm looking for a cheap strat or tele copy or indeed something else single coil. Anyone got any good suggestions? Less than £200 if possible
Cheers

Tom
Tom Reeves
Lobelia Sound

Kenneth

Squier classic vibe/ yamaha pacifica/ cort g series all are fine instruments.
"...a guitar sound that you could curdle cream with." Ferryman

tom r

Hi Fuzzface
i tried to but no look. I loaned it to my godson 10 years ago and then forgot about it!
It was my first "proper" guitar. anyway i wanted to record something different and asked him for it back. Yup he's lost/sold/loaned it

T
Tom Reeves
Lobelia Sound

FuzzFace

Yes ok... time to move on.  Ha ha...

madrab

I think you could find good guitar for that price. Squires can be really good, but so can a lot of other brands, and they can all be bad. Try them out. Check reviews at reviews.harmony-central.com. It is often a very good idea to change pickups, try Toneriders, they are not expensive but good. A good new setup, strings and pups can make wonders.

Facemask93

My sons got a Yamahe Pacifica , you wont go wrong with one of these , they are pretty good all round , build quality and sound , check out ebay or craigslist , you will get a decent one for around a £100

Rob

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

"All along the ancient wastes the thin reflections spin,
that gather all the times and tides at once we love within."
 - Roy Harper

Geir

I want a strat too, but I'm not quite sure why !!!

the three single-coil setup is not optimal in my opinion. The times I've used strats (and copies) I end up using the two mid settings (bridge+mid or neck+mid) On a HSH setup (with coil-tap on the humbuckers), you get the best of both worlds. You still get the two mid-settings + you get a bridge and a neck humbucker which is far more useful in those positions. And you get the mid singel-coil as well. Many brands can deliver this setup. Ibanez is one good choice if you're on a budged. Yamaha, Jackson and yeah even squire does make some models with that setup!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

StevieM

Shame you weren't after one a couple of weeks ago Tom, I've just sold a black Pacifica, in almost perfect condition, for £75!

I've got to agree with Geir here, I prefer to have the options of humbucks tapped. If you got one with 3 singles there's single size 4 core wired hotrail humbucks around that'll fit in the same holes in the scratch plate, then just change a tone pot for a push/pull tone---or in the case of a strat there's room to fit a mini toggle to split the coils.
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

tom r

I would have bought that yamaha for that price oh well. Sounds like I need to get out around a few shops and try some guitars out

Tom
Tom Reeves
Lobelia Sound