Album Cover Challenge (from my new music room)

Started by Ted, October 02, 2010, 12:26:23 AM

Ted

Let's just say I've been musically out of commission for awhile.  Many reasons. What a year it's been.

For the first time in many months, I have a place in my home to make music. With a little time management, I'll start recording again and posting new stuff here.

Rather than create music tonight, I enshrined it.  I framed four of my vinyl albums, and hung them on the wall in my new office/home studio/guest room.

I'm wondering who can identify these albums from this small, dark, and grainy photo.

The fourth one (far right) ought to be the hardest, although someone might surprise me.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Oldrottenhead

oooh second one looks like devo but dont know the album, 3rd one looks like it might be tom waits. problem for we brits is sometimes album covers and titles were completely different from the american versions.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

lg

I see Bob Dylan's electric album....was it Highway 61 Revisited?
I believe it was...

LG
nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!

Ted

Quote from: oldrottenhead on October 02, 2010, 03:01:07 AMoooh second one looks like devo but dont know the album, 3rd one looks like it might be tom waits. problem for we brits is sometimes album covers and titles were completely different from the american versions.

Sorry, ORH, not Devo. But I can see how you might guess that.  As far as I know, all of these albums had more or less the same covers on the British versions.

Quote from: lg on October 02, 2010, 06:37:47 AMI see Bob Dylan's electric album....was it Highway 61 Revisited?
I believe it was...

That's right!  This album was "lent" to me by an aunt about 30 years ago. Although it's been played many times, amazingly, it still has the original shrink wrap with a sticker that says, "Featuring 'Like a Rolling Stone.'"
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

cuthbert

The second one is 'Odds and Sods' by The Who. I recognized the Dylan album but the other two are a mystery to me.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

SdC

recorder
Boss BR-600

cuthbert

Quote from: SdC on October 02, 2010, 12:06:12 PMFirst one Rumours, right?

That's what I thought at first, but the tall fellow in the pic reminded me of Nick Lowe, so I did a little research and now I think it's 'Live Stiffs'. A good friend of mine had that - he was a bit more into the Stiff label artists than I was at that time.

I still haven't got a clue on that one to the far right, though...
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Ted

Good sleuthing and guessing, cuthbert, SdC, and lg!

I'm not really a vinyl collector, but I've noticed something interesting about each of these. If any of these happen to be valuable, it's my own dumb luck.

I've seen different variations of this cover, but most have the picture flipped, with Lowe on the left, like this:

I have the die-cut version, where you can see between the spaces of the torn photo pieces, and it reveals a second cover underneath:

This one, as I already mentioned, has the original promotional sticker on the original shrink wrap.

This one is just cheesy. It was given to me by my sister as a gag gift. I've listened to it once. I may convert it to digital to finally get to know it after owning it--and displaying it--for years.

Thanks for playing!

Enough enshrining music. I want to make some now.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

64Guitars

Quote from: Ted on October 02, 2010, 06:29:39 PM

I should have got that one. I have the same album on vinyl. Mine has Ian Dury on the left; the same as yours.

From the picture in your original post, I wouldn't have thought that this cover was blue. I was trying to think of album covers with a dark grey background. Not that it would have helped to know the cover was blue. I've never seen that album before, nor heard of it.

I recognised Highway 61 right away. I should have recognised Odds & Sods but, like ORH, I was thinking Devo. I don't know why because I just had a look on Google Images and didn't see any Devo album covers that look anything like Odds & Sods. I guess I mistook the red football helmets for flowerpot hats.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Ted

Quote from: 64Guitars on October 02, 2010, 07:11:11 PM

I should have got that one. I have the same album on vinyl. Mine has Ian Dury on the left; the same as yours.

I'm thinking that the version that we both have is the flipped version of the photo. I looked at the buttons on the shirts worn by Nick Lowe and Wreckless Eric. Unless they're wearing women's shirts, the photo has been reversed.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac