Le Noise, Neil Young

Started by madrab, September 30, 2010, 02:54:39 AM

madrab

I 'm watching the interview again now. Neil Young at 17:20-:

"That's the last thing you wanna do — to think of something. That is death"

The zen master has spooken. I think they call it no-thinking (as opposed both to not-thinking and thinking).

Bluesberry

I've been listening to this in my car, over and over, its incredible.  Thank you Neil.

Don't think, just let it flow out...great advice...don't second guess...go with the feeling...

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Bluesberry

Its still on repeat play, all weekend long, everytime I went out in the car, I just love the symphony of overdriven guitar sounds here.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Nelson

What an awesome post...
40 minutes with a master.
I will watch this many times.
Gave me goose bumps.

Plus he also has a song titled "Walk With Me" on his new album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUGej_ofcAQ

His track totally kicks ass.

So it's back to the lab for me

[reverbnation]5537135[/reverbnation]

But I have something in common with Mr. Neil Young.
Hot Damn...how about that.
That's about where the commonality ends...  but I'll take that.  :D  :) :D :)

Nelson
recorder
Reaper

recorder
Boss BR-600

T.C. Elliott

I enjoyed the interview, but felt sorry for the interviewer. And really,what's the difference in recording a drum beat or another guitar (overdub) and just taking a guitar strum and using it as a beat or putting it another spot (what they called a dub)?? It IS cool that it's all from the original performances but I'm not sure the distinction is much of anything other than the fact they had a limited resource to use. That in itself is very useful.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

madrab

My big pride concerning things in common with Neil Young is my birthday: I am exactly 20 years younger. Besides me and Neil, its Charles Manson and "Honken", the old swedish hockey goalkeeper you all know so well that celebrates november 12th.

I don't think the the lack of overdubs is a "dogma"-sort of thing, more a way of keeping the Youngs spontaneity, and handling over work to Lanois. Had Young not liked what was done he would probably just canned it. That said I would like to hear the original recordings, or even better be able to peel away the overdubs one by one.

The interviewer did a great job and I really think a lot of people would have like to have his chance, so I don't feel sorry for him one bit.

T.C. Elliott

Yeah, my post may have come off a little anti-neil or at least less enthusiastic than intended. I'm not a HUGE neil young fan, but he's the biggest unintentional influence I have so....

I was liking what I saw/heard. But like many artists, he's a bit particular in how he acts/thinks. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Probably what makes him Neil.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

madrab

I don't necessarily think he's a nice person, especially not after having read the biography "shaky", I just love the way he makes music. I belive his best as well as worst music is the result of the same method.