I Guess there are some "Simon Cowell" types here after all!!

Started by Johnbee, September 26, 2010, 11:20:31 PM

Johnbee

Tis is a review from a recent song I posted:

Quote from: stoman on September 26, 2010, 05:52:30 AMWow, another great voice, and a very nice composition!

Try and find somebody to replace the cheap midi sounds with much better ones though![/b] This can become a GREAT song.

I may help out with some sounds if you post the midi files for all your tracks.

Regards,
  Steffen

While I appreciate his positive comments on the song overall and my voice, I DO NOT appreciate the comment regarding the CHEAP sounds!  You don't know the expense $150.00 (which may not be alot to some, but it is to me) and the time I put into trying to make the sounds realistic.  So, I guess I failed. BUT I didn't think it mattered here.  I thought this was a site where amateur musicians could post their attempts and share with each other without getting snobbery and egotisim involved.  I've been posting here since May and have made some friends and have told others how much fun people have here and how exceptional this site is where I can post something and NOT have to hear "That sounds MIDI"!  That doesn't sound real"  Well, OK, DAMN IT.  IT ISN'T REAL!  I don't pretend to be a big time music producer so why should I "pretend" to have real horn players!  I thought, beings this is a site that predominantly has people who record on a little 4 track the size of a GPS unit that here we just post and share and have fun, but Mr. Steffen here has pointed out the fact that there is expected some degree of professionalism here afterall!

So, it's not fun for me anymore.

So I won't be posting here anymore.

Thanks to Steffen for pointing out the truth to me!
 :) JB

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!

Gritter

JohnBee, that is just one man's opinion...and someone who has not been a regular poster here...you've received some great feedback on your music. I really like your style. Don't let one ego turn you off. Remember that English may be his second language and there is a good chance he was trying to offer his ideas for collaboration.

Sandy.

cuthbert

Hello Johnbee,

Steffen's remarks were not representative of the members of SongCrafters in general. I've sent him a pm and also asked the admin team to review this.

cuthbert
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Johnbee

It's not so much what he said.  It's how he SAID it!  Yeah, I agree it not the most realistic sounding thing, but I just got this program and I'm working on it!  Personally, I don't think it's bad for a first attempt.  I didn't point out the fact that it is a first attempt at this program.  I should have, I suppose, but some people should think about what they say before they say it and how it may offend some.  Some musicians are egotistical and some are sensitive and some are both.  I've encountered some great people here.  The words "Cheap" and expressions such as "Ditch the cheap sounds" just sound so out of place here.
 :)  John B.

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!

Ferryman

Hey John, just saw this, agree with everyone else, please don't take too much offence, it would be very sad to see you leave. I've enjoyed your music and advice. However, I fully sympathize with you and I wouldn't like to receive such comments myself. Hopefully Cuth will clarify the way we like to run things here with him.

I just checked Steffen's comments and I think his "bluntness" may come from the fact that he is a non-native English speaker. I am prepared to post comments on this site which are critical, but I always balance them with careful wording to avoid giving offence. He's not given that careful wording but he does at least start the post with a very positive comment, so it's not like he is completely slagging you off.

But at the end of the day it's your call if you decide to go. Life is short and we don't want to spend our limited spare time receiving negative comments on the Internet from people we don't know. I know I don't!

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

I too read this and would hope that it is a break down in communication. I have always enjoyed your posts and would hope that any misunderstandings will not stand in the way of you letting us enjoy your music and energy in future songs...................Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

Donna D

This is definitely a breakdown in communication.   :(

I've collaborated with Steffen on a number of projects over the past two years, and there are few people who are more kind, patient, helpful, and considerate than he is. I can even add "modest" to the list.

It's a pity the matter wasn't dealt with privately. I'm certain Johnbee and Steffen would have been able to resolve it quickly.

Donna

Honour the earth. Without it, we'd be nowhere.

Life is too important to take seriously.

Tony W

Quote from: Donna D on September 27, 2010, 10:38:46 AMIt's a pity the matter wasn't dealt with privately.

I can't help but second that. This is an international forum, and I've read maybe a dozen critical posts in the year and a half that I've been here. More often than not, things are taken out of context due to language barriers.

I'm sure it's out of character for you to create an "I'm taking my ball and leaving" post as well. You're a fine musician, and from what I've read of your posts, a stand up guy. It's always best to give somebody the benefit of the doubt. It sure beats a public hanging anyway.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

henwrench

Has anyone done 'Let It Be' for the BeatlesFest yet?  Hmmmmmm...... maybe you two could give it a whirl...

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

64Guitars

No more public discussion of this, please. We're trying to resolve it privately. I'm locking this topic.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website