Micro BR = Metal heavy

Started by topsail, October 14, 2008, 08:22:17 AM

topsail

Seems like the BR is loaded down with a lot of Metal sounds.
That's really not my style and I've been using only a few of the preloaded effects.
Can someone share some good Surf sounds or perhaps something like a Super Twin Reverb with slight breakup? Maybe a 50's Fender Champ sound or Viroverb setting.

Just got this unit a few days ago, so I'm looking for any shortcuts possible.

Please forgive if this has allready been asked and addressed.

Greeny

Quote from: topsail on October 14, 2008, 08:22:17 AMSeems like the BR is loaded down with a lot of Metal sounds.
That's really not my style and I've been uses only a few of the preloaded effects.
Can someone share some good Surf sounds or perhaps something like a Super Twin Reverb with slight breakup? Maybe a 50's Fender Champ sound or Viroverb setting.

I totally get where you're coming from. I have the same issues. I do like the 'Nashville' and 'Bayou' patches for some nice, clean vintage tone though. 'VO Comp' is ok too when I want to add a little dirt to the tone. On my old Tascam, there was a 'Surf' setting which was great - so yes, I'd like to have some tips on recreating that too!

Mudhut

Farmjazz sure likes his surf music maybe he has some ideas ;)
Keep on rocking in the free world :)

64Guitars

Quote from: topsail on October 14, 2008, 08:22:17 AMSeems like the BR is loaded down with a lot of Metal sounds.
That's really not my style and I've been uses only a few of the preloaded effects.

Many BR users seem to consider the preset patches as the extent of the BR's effects. That's unfortunate. The preset patches are merely provided as a convenience. They demonstrate some of the effects and amp models, and provide a starting point for creating your own patches by modifying the settings of the amp model and effects. But it seems to me that most BR users are afraid to change the amp and effects settings. I don't know why that is. Maybe they're worried that they'll mess up the existing preset patches and won't be able to get them back. If so, there's no need to worry about that. The preset patches are permanent. You can't change them permanently, even if you wanted to. So, if you want to keep the changes you've made to a patch's settings, you have to save the patch to the USER or SONG bank. It is not possible to save a patch to the PRESET bank, so it's impossible to mess up your preset patches.

The amp models have settings for each of the controls that you'd find on the front panel of the actual amp. So, for example, if you've selected a patch that uses the MS(1) amp model and it sounds too "metal" for your tastes, simply turn down the Volume control to reduce the distortion, just as you would on a real Marshall amplifier. Better still, change the amp model from MS(1) to JC-120 or CLEAN (Fender Twin Reverb) and adjust the controls for Volume, Bass, Middle, Treble, Presence, Bright, and Master, just as you would on the real amp. You can also try different speaker cabinet settings to get the tone you're after.

By default, the USER and SONG banks contain copies of the patches in the PRESET bank. So, the easiest way to experiment with the patch settings is to first switch to the USER or SONG bank. You can then save your changes back to the same patch location. If desired, you can also change the name of the patch.

For a basic surf sound, try the CLEAN amp model (Fender Twin Reverb) with lots of reverb and turn off all the other effects. Adjust the amp's tone and volume controls as desired.

By the way, reverb isn't saved with the patch as it's a loop effect rather than an insert effect. Since the surf sound usually depends on a lot of reverb, it isn't possible to save a surf patch as such. You can save a patch with the CLEAN amp and all of its controls adjusted to your liking, but the reverb will have to be applied separately.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

topsail

Thanks for the input.

I'll admit I was afraid to change the presets too much, but I did adjust the reverb level on one of them with good results. Can't remember right now which one?

ibanez1357

I agree there are plenty of "metal" sounds the problem is they all SUCK >:(. I had to make my own distortion patches because I mostly play metal. I've tried my hardest to create some good usable ones and they all end up sounding cheesy. I gave up on trying and just use my Korg Pandora for all my guitar sounds because it sounds great.

Hi Folks!

First post here, hope it's cool and not to sidetrack the thread...my son and I both play, he's 16 and better than me, I'm an old surfaholic from days gone by, grew up in So Cal and was strongly influenced by the surf thing, been playing that genre since the very early 80's, did the surf band thing after H.S and through college, all the standards (and not-so-standards).  It's forever my love and style.

So anyway I bought my son a Micro BR for Christmas and he DIGS it. we're both a little overwhelmed with it's capabilities but of course it's new still.  Although it's HIS of course I can't help but tinker with it and noticed right off the bat the lack of a good heavy reverb sound.  I was wondering - stupid question I'm sure - what are the odds of being able to use some of my older gear from back in the day, most notably an old '63 Fender Reverb unit (the old tube-driven outboard style) with the Micro BR?  Is it safe and OK to plug into my reverb tank and then go into the BR's input? 

I don't want to blow the thing up since it isn't mine, I'm just (ahem)...errr....helping him figure it out, yeah, that's it..... ;)

Having a ball with it and extremely impressed with the level of talent (and not to single anyone out but a nod to Farmjazz for some of his stuff I've listened to, dug your interpretation of the Chantay's "Pipeline", nice!) and positive input and help here.  Fantastic community you have going, I've learned as much from reading here as I have the reading the manual. Thanks so much for letting me take up your time.

EJ
"Once your reputation is ruined, you can live quite freely."

dragonshade

I guess I'm the oddball but overall I was rather impressed with the "metal" capabilities of the MBR (with just a little tweaking). I did a decent patch off the Chorus-something preset. This was used a good bit in my Fade to Black cover I posted (still incomplete though), and overall worked well. Not to say a good preamp would not do better, but I was/am impressed.

Then again my guitar has an active EMG 85, which helps.

Glenn Mitchell

I'd try using the mic in front of the amp if you have the gear already.
It's a decent mic.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

Pogrom

I noted that the MBR is "metal heavy" too, but I like that. I just wish there was a preset that sounded more like black metal so that could be lazy and not have to program my own.
"...Let the suicide of music take control..." - Deadsy