$300 music store credit- what to buy?

Started by Ken, September 24, 2010, 10:42:26 PM

Kenneth

Hmmm dont know , i'm not suffering from gas for a long time now.
At one time I had a room full of guitars and amps , but dont even want that now, so I got rid of it. Quite a cleanse.

Believe it or not i'm happy with my Strat and acoustic.

$300 isn't enough for anything major , but not sure what to buy.  Was kind of thinking about some new effects for my guitar, maybe a new delay, as i'm a big delay fan. Maybe a multi- effects unit to plug into the BR1200.

Any suggestions?
"...a guitar sound that you could curdle cream with." Ferryman

Bluesberry

I'll give you a suggestion, Boss Space Echo delay pedal.  Check it here: http://www.zzounds.com/item--BOSRE20.  This is the last guitar pedal I bought about 6 months ago and I love it very much.  It is great for guitar of course, everything from surf twang to radiohead space to Pink Floyd space out.  It transforms your guitar into something very cool.  I also run my keyboards (roland SH-201 synth) through it and it really makes my synth come alive, it makes it go from kinda flat digital sounding to full on old school analogue wonder.  I can't play my keys with out it now.  The third use I have is my BR-1200 drums.  Once I get a drum pattern set up I run the drums through this pedal and over to my microBR and then put them back into the BR-1200, it transforms the drum machine sound and makes them sound much more realistic I find.  Once again, I can't do without it now it sounds so much better.  And then you can play it just by itself practically. hook your guitar in, play a note and then start twiddling the knobs for some of that Pink Floyd space echo goodness to add to tracks to give lots of ambience.  Radiohead guy (Johnny Greenwood) uses one of these live because his old school space echo machines are too unreliable on stage and this little pedal gives him authentic space echo sounds.  These are really cool pedals.  Thats my suggestion for spending $300.  Check them out Ken.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

peterp

No idea what to get but it is definitely time for a trip to the Candy Store!!
Have fun!

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Quote from: - Newton Minow, head of FCC 1961"Television, America's vast wasteland"

Migs

What about a Boss ME 70?  They have probably come down to about $330 since their release.  I have a ME 50 and I love it. 
Fender 50s Reissue Tele (Mex) - blonde
Takamine EF-389 12 String Accoustic/Electric
Peavey Bandit 75; VOX AC30
Boss ME 50; Boss Micro BR; Kaossilator !

SdC

How about a really good headphone or mic?

recorder
Boss BR-600

launched

Quote from: SdC on September 27, 2010, 05:41:17 AMHow about a really good headphone or mic?

I was thinking the same thing - If your 1200 doesn't have a built in condenser mic I'd go for that and a decent set of headphones. Start working those vocals some more.

But it's your buck - Rock it how you want!
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Bluesberry

Quote from: launched on September 27, 2010, 11:57:20 PM
Quote from: SdC on September 27, 2010, 05:41:17 AMHow about a really good headphone or mic?

I was thinking the same thing - If your 1200 doesn't have a built in condenser mic I'd go for that and a decent set of headphones. Start working those vocals some more.

But it's your buck - Rock it how you want!
Good point, what do you use to record your vocals right now?  I have a Sure SM58 and I am getting good results, it seems to suit my voice very well.  Of course a good condenser mic might be nice too.  Don't forget to get a mic stand (unless you already have one), so much better for singing when you have a stand and pop filter.  I agree with Mark, you have a good voice, good tone and reasonably good control for not singing much.  Work your voice and you will be a very good singer in no time.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Kenneth

Some good suggestions guys. Thanks. I'm using a cheapy right now BB , forget the name but the Shure mics seem to be the way to go.
Looked at headphones 2 sets available both at $300 with a flat freq for recording, no coloring of sound. Checked out delays, Boss seems cool Space echo, and one by Digitech really has my attention too at $300 does all kinds of stuff.
The Boss multi I think might be redundant due to the effects in the BR1200.
Thanks for the ideas, gonna sit on it a while. No rush.
"...a guitar sound that you could curdle cream with." Ferryman

SdC

I have recently upgraded my ancient cheapo Sony headphone with a Beyerdynamic DT770. Now I feel confident that when the mix I hear on the headphones is balanced, it plays well on any stereo set. And that I need to upgrade all my other gear, because it is merciless  :D. Best purchase I made in years.

recorder
Boss BR-600

Migs

Quote from: SdC on September 28, 2010, 11:16:56 AMI have recently upgraded my ancient cheapo Sony headphone with a Beyerdynamic DT770. Now I feel confident that when the mix I hear on the headphones is balanced, it plays well on any stereo set.

Ahhh, that is interesting.  I looked at theses and backed away because reviews said they are really bass heavy.  I might have another look.

Ken ... a Kaossilator !
Fender 50s Reissue Tele (Mex) - blonde
Takamine EF-389 12 String Accoustic/Electric
Peavey Bandit 75; VOX AC30
Boss ME 50; Boss Micro BR; Kaossilator !