Yes You Are

Started by Johnbee, September 22, 2010, 06:02:56 PM

Satchwood

Cool jazzy song JB, gotta a Joe Jackson ~ Chicago vibe to me !!  I dig the piano & horn section sounds, and the nice flute solo at the end!

So were all the instruments programmed, even the piano parts?
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

Johnbee

Thanks all.
Satch-Yes.  All MIDI. Even piano.

Nick-So would I, but if I up the level, the bass over saturates for some reason.  I tried compression but that doesn't even seem to work.

The Joe Jackson compare makes me very proud because that's exactly who inspired it.

Nigel-No accordion here. Instrumentation is "virtual" tenor sax, baritone sax, trumpet, piano, drums and acoustic bass with solo flute and trumpet.

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!

Kenneth

Nice work John! I dont even have a clue how to build a midi song like this, but let me say it sounds like a whole band of people got together and made some great music! You carry it well with your vocals, very nice btw, and this was a pleasant listen, my first from you. Thanks for sharing.
"...a guitar sound that you could curdle cream with." Ferryman

Nelson

This is the first piece I've heard from you... Welcome.
Very Cool piece of work.
Outstanding musicianship and stellar vocals.
Well Done.
Looking forward to hearing more.

Nelson
recorder
Reaper

recorder
Boss BR-600

SdC

Quote from: Satchwood on September 24, 2010, 09:44:19 AMCool jazzy song JB, gotta a Joe Jackson ~ Chicago vibe to me !!  I dig the piano & horn section sounds, and the nice flute solo at the end!

So were all the instruments programmed, even the piano parts?

Yeah agree; a bit of Steely Dan as well for sure.

recorder
Boss BR-600

stoman

Wow, another great voice, and a very nice composition!

Regards,
  Steffen

chapperz66

I really like this piece of music.  Great arrangement and a great song.

Paul

Jim1970

This is such a Great Song!!!!
Great Job and thanks for sharing.

P.S. Please keep posting!
JIM
Now on SoundClick and Reverbnation
http://members.soundclick.com/jmarciniec1970
http://www.reverbnation.com/jamesmarciniec
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Johnbee

Stoman, Chapper & Jim-
Thanks all!
 :) JB

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!

Gu Djin

Hi John, this is my first hearing of this tune.  Very nice use of JaBB.  The earlier flute break took me back to early Moodies, but the rest was the style of jazz you are tops at.  Good stuff.  The vocal as usual is good but felt it might be better doubled at times to lift it through the melee of goodies in the accompaniment.  And I like the different effect on the occasional voice answer line.  Iremember you commenting on one my songs that did that - seems like you understood my reasoning and took it one step further.

If I have a nit at all - it's purely that it very pristine almost clinical - but there again you knew I was going to say that didn't you.

I use the upright basses in Kore Player as opposed to JaBB they seem less fuzzy round the edges and with my weighted keyboard, they give a nice percussive kick (click) that lifts them above many other emulations, though the JaBB ones are nice too.

Well done  - Nice listen

Leigh
Guild Starfire 5, Fender Telecaster, Fender Stratocaster, K Yairi and Walden and a 12 Stagg string acoustic guitar and other music making boxes - including mandolin, bouzouki and 5 string banjo, uke and acoustic bass - a few M-Audio keyboards and a flute - all played and treated with equal love and attention - zoom ut 2 pedal and Logic Pro X