Is there still a 5mb limit?

Started by Vanncad, September 22, 2010, 10:15:26 AM

Vanncad

hey guys - is there a still a 5mb upload limit?

I'm just finishing up a tune and she's a biggun (around 7.5mb). Just wondering if I will be a ble to upload it.
It ain't pretty being easy.

Okay to Cover

Tony W

6292 KB is the limit now.

also knows as 6.14 MB

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

henwrench

Hey Van...

Dunno if you've got it already, but download Sound Switch File Converter. It's a free one. Lets you choose the bit rate, keep doing it till you hit the magic number. That's what I do anyway!

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Vanncad

Thanks guys.

I'll try that Hen. Stoopid question but - does it degrade the sound? The mix on this one is a little iffy to begin with.

Maybe I could just chop the last 2 minutes off the song.  ;D

Okay to Cover

64Guitars

As Tony said, the limit is now 6 MiB (6,292,000 bytes) as of March 17, 2010. If your file is larger than that, you might want to try a free file hosting service such as FileDEN. Their free account allows you to upload files up to 100 MB each to a total of 1 GB. You can then link to the file with the [singlemp3] [/singlemp3] tags like this:

[singlemp3]http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/10/5/2130110/Rockin%20in%20the%20Free%20World%20mix%202.mp3[/singlemp3]

Time:
0:00
Volume:

Optionally, you can specify a song title to be displayed in the player by inserting it into the opening tag, preceded by an equals sign.

[singlemp3=Rockin' in the Free World]http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/10/5/2130110/Rockin%20in%20the%20Free%20World%20mix%202.mp3[/singlemp3]

Time:
Volume:

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Vanncad

Thanks 64.

I've linked to large files on a web server before, but people have complained that they wouldn't play, or they got cut-off.

Is it dependent on the hosting server or our player?

In other words, would I be better off uploading the mp3 file to FileDEN, GoogleDocs, etc, and linking to it rather than an internet provider's hosting space?

Okay to Cover

64Guitars

Quote from: Vanncad on September 22, 2010, 11:00:46 AMI've linked to large files on a web server before, but people have complained that they wouldn't play, or they got cut-off.

Is it dependent on the hosting server or our player?

In other words, would I be better off uploading the mp3 file to FileDEN, GoogleDocs, etc, and linking to it rather than an internet provider's hosting space?

It's dependent on the server, not the player. The player tries to stream the song. In other words, it starts playing immediately while it continues to download. Ideally, the downloading should go much faster than the playing, which results in smooth, uninterrupted playback. But, if the server is very slow, the player will finish playing the first chunk of data before the next chunk arrives, so it has to wait until the next chunk finishes downloading, resulting in choppy playback. Users can solve this problem by pressing Pause as soon as the song starts and waiting until it finishes downloading. Then they can press Play to resume playing the song. Since the song is now entirely in the computer's memory, it will play smoothly.

As for which service works best, you'll just have to try them. Some ISPs have fast web servers while others do not. When I tried FileDEN about a year ago, it seemed a bit sluggish. But it seems to work better now. I provided an example of a song hosted at FileDEN above which seems to play alright. And here's an example of a song hosted at Google Sites:

Time:
Volume:

(Originally posted by Blooby June 13, 2010 in this message.)

To compare server performance, watch the dark grey progress bar in the player which shows the download progress. The faster the song downloads, the better. But, as long as the download bar is always well ahead of the playback bar, the song should play smoothly.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

FileDEN has one little quirk I forgot to mention. If you haven't logged in to your free FileDEN account in 30 days, they send you a warning email. If you still haven't logged in 30 days after that, they delete your account and all of your files. If you use FileDEN regularly, that shouldn't be a problem. But if you're only going to use it for this one long song, you might not have any need to log in to your FileDEN account again for quite some time and run the risk of having the account deleted.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website