Love-Terror DSS original

Started by dasilvasings, September 16, 2010, 06:37:17 PM

dasilvasings

DaSilvaSings_Love-Terror
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Dear all,

This is my first original in many years.

These holidays I finally read "10 tips for songwriters" http://www.songwright.co.uk/2010/06/20/10-tips-for-songwriters-2/ and Edwin Songsville hit me with his tip 1 "write bad songs!". Hey! That's the only way to do it. We shouldn't be afraid to write because in worst case scenario, it is just a bad song! Big deal, just turn on the TV to hear some even worse!

I had some domestic holidays in a very beautiful and quiet farm in Minho, in the north of Portugal. There were lots of cats, and one was particularly smart. The owners called "her" "Amor" (love) when "she" was born. Afterwards they noticed it was actually a "he", so they added "Terror", and so it was named "Amor-Terror". I found the name so interesting that the song appeared in 1-2 hours. It was written in English, mostly thinking on this community.

The song is quite simple. MBR drums and a portuguese mandolin which I bought there (actually, in a city called Viana do Castelo, some 20km (?) away). It was made by an 80 year old luthier (I'll post some photos later) and it is very pretty. It is an odd 12 strings mandolin (4x3), which is not common in Portugal (and anywhere in the world, I think). I tuned it as an ukulele so I don't have to learn new chords. The song also stars another new toy - a korg monotron. It is very funny to mess up with it and I was quite surprised with its range. Unfortunately it is difficult to use the ribbon keyboard but neverthless, great fun!

Here are the lyrics and other details:

Love-Terror (Agosto 2010)
T=95
Monotron (cutoff;VCO 12h; LFO 10h/1h; VCF 11h/12h)

Intro

C
Love-Terror is a cat
Dm
That lives in a farm
C
And everyday
F
He sleeps
G
And plays

Love-Terror is a cat
That hunts in a farm
At night he rolls his dice
And maybe
Catch some mice

-Chorus-

Dm           G 
Love-Terror, Love-Terror
C                       F
Please step out of your cellar
Dm                     G
And please help little Laura
C                         C
To go through reading her Torah

Love-Terror is a cat
And he is not so fat
He is quite agile
And stretches for a mile
He stretches for a mile...

So... nevermind the bollocks, here's DaSilvaSings...
recorder
Boss Micro BR

lg

I have downloaded this to my mp3 player so I can check it out
properly. these 'puter speaks don't cut it.
Sounds pretty cool, I think I'm gonna like it, but, I don't wanna
say too much without hearing it proper!

LG
nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!

Kenneth

"...a guitar sound that you could curdle cream with." Ferryman

Redler

Nice to hear original material from you. I love this fun tune! It sounds catchy after two listenings and mandolin sound is pretty cool. Thanks for telling the story behind this song. I hope you'll write more new songs.

Kari
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Jim1970

Cool Original Tune!!
Fun Story and Great Music!!
JIM from Jersey
Now on SoundClick and Reverbnation
http://members.soundclick.com/jmarciniec1970
http://www.reverbnation.com/jamesmarciniec
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

lg

Well, I lisstened to this at work today on my mp3 player thru earphones....
And I'll have to admit to being kinda hooked on this song.
It is very catchy and because it is so different, it makes it all the more intriguing!
Thanks for add ing the chords and words and this story behind it!

LG
nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!

dasilvasings

Thank you all for the comments.

Larry, after your first email, I spent yesterday loging in to songcrafters just to check if you had replied back. I was afraid a bad comment, or worse - a polite silence! I'm happy you liked it!

Miguel
recorder
Boss Micro BR

j.g.

What a simple catchy little song - very much in the Bonzo Dog Do Dah band style.
Sounds like a great new instrument you have got there - 4 x 3 interesting !!!  It's hard to manage six some days.
Look forward to hear some more of your little ditties.

Nelson

Creative story and very entertaining musical landscape.
Well Done...
Keep them coming...

Nelson
recorder
Reaper

recorder
Boss BR-600

cuthbert

I love it!  :)

Lots of great creative ideas here, Miguel, and a cool song that sticks with you after hearing it.

I also got a Korg Monotron a few weeks ago, and it's very cool indeed. I agree, it's a difficult beast to tame (although the Gakken SX-150 I put together last year is even tougher). Have you tried using the filter in the Monotron on another instrument? This thing is pretty amazing for its price!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase